Monday, January 24, 2022

January 24, 2022 Lunch - Ham and Bean and Macaroni Soup over corn bread. Dinner - Fried Oysters with Broccoli and Seaweed Salad

January 24, 2022 Lunch - Ham and Bean and Macaroni Soup over corn bread. Dinner - Fried Oysters with Broccoli and Seaweed Salad


Every day is different in some interesting way.  Today the stock market was exceedingly interesting.  At one point the Dow was down 1100 points but there was a strong rally that ended with the Dow finishing up 100 points.


We will probably not be as lucky tomorrow unless everyone wants to wait until the Fed Minutes are released on Wednesday.


I ate a bowl of granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt at. 9:30 and then showered and dressed and went to my dentist appointment with my new dentist, Sarah Kassam at 10:30. She was not in the office so I will need to go back on Thursday to be examined by her.


After the appointment I drove to Smiths and bought eggs, cream cheese bagels.  When I arrived at the meat counter I told the attendant that I was having trouble telling when the price on oysters was reduced.  He answered, “Normally three days before the last day of sale date on the lid.”


He came around the counter and checked the date on the lids, which was January 28 and said, “I can reduce the price today.”


I waited for him to go print “Reduced Price” labels and put them on the lids of about 1 dozen jars and he then handed me four jars. Even though the reduced price was $2.99 per jar I felt lucky because the usual price is $5.99 or $6.99 per jar.  


I then proceeded to the produce section where I bought the ingredients for Ratatouille, 2 bell peppers, an eggplant, tomatoes, and two zucchinis.


I also bought shallots because Smiths is now the least expensive for them.


When I returned home I was hungry and sore. I decided to fix a quick lunch.  I was going to heat some corn bread and butter it and spread homey on but when I opened the fridge I saw what looked like the container of Ham and bean and macaroni soup.  When I opened it I was correct, so I sliced a piece of corn bread in half and covered the corn bread with the remaining soup.  


                                    The last of the bean soup with corn bread


I heated it for about three minutes and fetched a cup of water., but as I was about to eat it Karim arrived with a 10 pound bag of frozen tuna he had caught on a fishing trip in the Gulf.  


I asked about the trip and he told me he caught three 50 lb. tunas.


I thanked him and turned on the TV to watch the Closing Bell at 1:45 and ate the soup as the market closed.  To my amazement the market had recovered all of its earlier losses and swung to a gain in the last 15 minutes, an astounding recovery of 1200 points.


After lunch I lay down for a nap until 4:00.


Suzette came home at 4:20 and we went for a walk but my hip was hurting so I turned back after trying to walk a block.


I talked Luke a bit about his stuff and my new yoga teacher, Avery, who he did a session with.  According to Luke she is the real deal, a highly experienced yoga instructor.


After Suzette came home she spoke to Luke for a few minutes and then we started cooking dinner.


I chopped the flowerets off a broccoli stalk and then Suzette steamed them.  She plated small plates with the last of the seaweed salad, the broccoli, and the fried the oysters.  Instead of 3 in a jar, one jar had four oysters and the other had 5 oysters.  Suzette mixed flour with corn meal in one pie dish and whisked two eggs into another pie dish.  She then dipped the oysters in the egg and then the corn meal pie plate and then fried then in a skillet with 1/3 inch of hot canola oil for a minute or two.


She drained them and then filled the rest of the plate with the fresh fried oysters.  Here is a picture of my plate. 





We drank glasses of the new Scott New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc we bought at Costco. It was highly rated but I did not think the tannins and frui were well integrated.  It was a better food wine than a sipping wine because the extra sweetness and citrus cut through the fat from frying the oysters.


Willy called to tell me that he bought more shares at the day’s low at 9:30 a.m. Willy is really getting good about buying and selling stock.  I am very proud of his new found interest in the stock.


We watched the Antiques Roadshow from 7:00 until 8:00 and then at 8.00 opened Netflix and watched yesterday’s episode of “Around the World in 80 days”.


I peeled and sectioned the Pumelo Suzette bought several days ago and Suzette fetched the piece of pound cake Nancy sent home with us last night and we garnished the piece of bunt cake With whipped cream and slices of pumelo.




We went to bed at 9:30.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment