Tuesday, January 11, 2022

January 11, 2022 Lunch - Sandwiches with dill pickles. Dinner - Poached Salmon with Snow Peas and Spaghetti

January 11, 2022 Lunch - Sandwiches with dill pickles. Dinner - Poached Salmon with Snow Peas and Spaghetti 


Finally, another great food day and a more than decent day in the Market with a gain of 1.43%.  


I ate granola, milk, blueberries, and yogurt at 10:30.


Then at 2:00 I made two open face sandwiches on toasted slices of French baguette. I spread basil Mayo. Then on one laid three slices of cured ham and on the other, four slices of salami.  Then I spread tarragon mustard on the meat and finally slices of Gouda cheese.


I added four dill pickles to the plate with the sandwiches and fetched a Dos Equis beer and ate a wonderful lunch.


After lunch I made Gravad Lax.  First I mixed 1 cup of sea salt, 3/4 cup of sugar, and 1 1/2 tsp. of crushed black pepper.


I then rinsed and dried two ten inch long fresh Atlantic farm raised salmon fillets.  


I fetched a large bunch of dill weed.


I fetched a 9 x 9 Pyrex baking dish and lay a layer of dill in the bottom of the dish.


I then spooned the mixture onto the skin side and then lay it skin side down onto the dill.


I then lay dill weed on the exposed inner side of the salmon fillet and spooned mixture on it.


I then spooned mixture on the inner side of the other salmon fillet and lay it on the lower salmon fillet.


I then lay a layer of dill on top of the exposed skin side and spooned the rest of the mixture on top of the dill.




I then covered the dish with Saran and placed a Saran covered brick on top and placed it in the fridge.



The whole process took about thirty minutes.


Suzette came home at 4:00 and at 4:30 I drove to the bank and deposited a check.  When I returned I fetched a bottle of 2020 Vara Albariño that had a pleasant fruity flavor.



At 6:00 we started cooking dinner. I minced a medium shallot and four cloves of garlic and Suzette removed the tough threads at the edge of a handful of snow peas.


We had invited a Willy to join us for dinner..


Suzette made a poaching medium of butter, water, and white wine plus 1/4 cup of chopped parsley and 1/8 cup of fresh dill weed.


The salmon was fully poached when Willy arrived at around 6:30. 


Suzette removed the poached salmon and cooked the snow peas in the poaching medium for several minutes and then added the two cups of PPI spaghetti.





We had a lovely dinner.  We did not add cream to the medium or make a cream sauce.  We left the broth clear and simple and Willy thanked us for keeping the dinner simple. 


We watched Finding your Roots.  Later I drank two cups of tea with two chocolate chip cookies.


I usually flip the Gravad lax at 12 or 18 hours.  We shall see if I awaken around 3:30 or sleep until 8:00 as I did today.  It does not seem to matter if the cure lasts 24 or 36 hours.


Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment