Tuesday, January 18, 2022

January 18, 2022 Lunch - Sashimi and Sushi Rice. Dinner - Baked teriyaki Salmon and Sushi Rice and sautéed green beans, zucchini, and toasted Slivered almonds

January 18, 2022 Lunch - Sashimi and Sushi Rice. Dinner - Baked teriyaki Salmon and Sushi Rice and sautéed green beans, zucchini, and toasted Slivered almonds

I awakened at 8:00 and watched the huge sell off in the market.  It turned into a rout in the tech names with the NASDAQ falling 2.7% and my portfolio falling about 2% by the end of the day.


I did not eat breakfast.


At 1:45 I cooked a cup of sushi rice with 1 T. of sugar, 2 T. of mirin, 2 T. of rice vinegar and 1 tsp. of salt. Using mirin was a mistake so I reduced the amount of sugar by 1/2. This will become important later.  The mirin gave the sushi a softer sweetness than using all sugar in my opinion.


I peeled and de-seeded and sliced about 1/4 cucumber, laced a couple of spoonfuls of seaweed salad on a plate with the cucumbers and sliced tuna, salmon, and Peruvian scallops to complete the plate.  I put pickled ginger in another bowl and wasabi and soy in a dipping bowl.  I made green tea, which is my drink of choice with sashimi.




I finished lunch around 3:00 and made teriyaki sauce by combining 1/3 cup each of soy sauce, sake, and mirin plus 1 T. of sugar. I made anther wonderful mistake and let the sauce come to a rolling boil which thickened the sauce.  I let the teriyaki sauce cool and the put it in a 1 gallon freezer bag with the fresh salmon fillet I bought yesterday at Sprouts and put it in the fridge to marinate.


I watched some news until 4:30, when I walked about 1/2 mile.


When I returned Suzette was at home.  


She was hungry so we discussed dinner and she decided to bake the salmon fillet in the oven and sauté green beans and a zucchini with slivered almonds.  Suzette added a container of Vietnamese fish sauce to about 1 1/2 cups of rice to keep it moist and heated it in the microwave in a Pyrex baking dish covered with Saran.


This turned out to be a remarkably good dinner.  Because the teriyaki sauce was boiled and thickened it adhered to the salmon like a glaze, which was very appealing and the sushi rice was very delicious, perhaps because of the added fish sauce.




I opened a bottle of Emma Richard rose and poured her a glass.  I drank green tea again.


This was a extraordinarily good meal.


Suzette packed a dinner tray for Willy and he came by around 8:00 to pick it up, but would not stay due to his having a sore throat.


From 7:30 to 10:00 we watched “A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” starring Tom Hanks as Fred Rogers.  I liked Chris Cooper, also, and the movie a lot.


I had a cup of tea and two more mandel brod at 9:00.


Bon Appetit


 


No comments:

Post a Comment