Tuesday, February 2, 2021

February 2, 2021 Lunch – Sandwiches. Dinner – Sashimi and Rice

 February 2, 2021 Lunch – Sandwiches. Dinner – Sashimi and Rice 

I ate a good breakfast of two slices of bagel with cream cheese, red onion, Lax, and capers.


I worked until 2:00 and then ate two open faced sandwiches, one of Liverwurst and Jarlsberg cheese and the other spread with peanut butter and honey.

I checked the Market and had another good day even without the benefit of a stellar day by Google.P

I worked until 5:00 when Suzette arrived on a corporate transaction.

Gravad Lax 

I then made a dish of Gravad Lax.  I washed and dried the two matched 9 inch long fillets of fresh Atlantic farm raised salmon.  I mixed 1 cup of salt, ¾ cup of sugar, and 1 tsp. of crushed black pepper in a bowl.  I then lined the bottom of a 9 x 6 inch Pyrex baking dish with fresh dill.  I spooned spoonfuls of  the dry mixture over the skin side of one fillet and lay it skin side down on the dill.  Then I spooned dry mix over the inside of the fillet and lay a layer of dill on top of it.  I then spooned dry mix over the inside of the other fillet and lay it on top of the first fillet.  I lay the rest of the dill and spooned the rest of the dry mix on top and covered the filets with Saran and weighted them down with a brick and put the dish in the fridge.

I usually cure 12 hours on each side so tomorrow morning I will turn the fillets and remove and wash them from the curing brine tomorrow night and wrap them in Saran and store them in the fridge.  The only modification we made to this batch was Suzette dusted the insides of the fillets with mandarin orange powder.

Here is a picture of the curing process.



 


 I had bought a tuna fillet, a lb. of scallops and an extra salmon fillet on Sunday when I bought the salmon, so I suggested Sashimi for dinner.  Suzette wanted to keep some of the fish to supplement our Mahi Mahi and noodle dish.

 So I sliced most of the salmon, the tuna, and the scallops along with a daikon and ½ of a large avocado and arranged them on Our large appetizer platter.  I fetched soy sauce and mixed it with wasabi sauce in two dipping bowls and filled a bowl with pickled ginger.  Suzette heated some PPI rice in the microwave and steamed 8 lovely thick asparagus and plated them on two smaller appetizer plates.

Suzette drank rose wine and I drank green tea and we partook of a fabulous Sashimi dinner.The Peruvian scallops are smaller, cheaper, and sweeter than the larger sea scallops. I do not buy sushi grade fish, because it is hard to find, more expensive and because I have become addicted to the regular fish,  the only thing I try to do is find a tuna steak that has a clear loin without any of the white sinews in it.

After dinner We watched finding your roots and then I lay down and slept until 10:00. Suzette watched a movie called Penguin Bloom.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment