Saturday, February 13, 2021

 February 11 and 12, 2021

Thursday we were knocked down physically by a reaction to the Covid vaccination we received on Wednesday.  I managed to make a clear chicken dumpling soup for lunch with baby bok choy, chicken stock, 1/2 shallot, chicken mini-dumplings, red miso, and 4 oz. of tofu.

I stopped at Pastian’s Bakery on my way to Costco to gas the Prius and bought loaves of German Whole wheat Sandwich, 9 Grain Sandwich, and 6 plain bagels.

After that it was dry toast spread with peanut butter and honey for a snack after I returned from a short walk and later, peanut butter and peach jam on toast.

We went to bed at 8:30.  I got up at 10:00 feeling better but Suzette slept through the night. 

We both felt better Friday morning and I made us lax and bagels with cream cheese, sliced onion, and capers.

At noon I made an enchilada casserole with12 corn tortillas in two layers of corn tortillas softened in peanut oil and Garduno’s Green Chili sauce, two layers of Texas chili, two layers of grated mozzarella, a layer of sliced avocado, and a layer of onions baked in a pyrex baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 hour. By coincident Suzette came home early and Willy came by so we all enjoyed eating warm enchiladas and we still have about 80% left.  Making enchiladas with Texas chili (commonly known as Chili con Carne) is something I made for years while I lived in Texas and is the common method of making enchiladas in Texas.

We watched the impeachment until 4:00 and then walked ½ mile.

When we returned, I fetched the container of diced tomatoes and a bottle of 2015 Domaine Toussaint Appellation Vouvray Controlee that I had bought at Total Wine in 2016 for $14.99 less 20%.  It was marvelous, with full bodied chenin blanc fruitiness and a touch of citrus acidity that makes Vouvray so appealing.

After watching the news and sipping wine, at 7:30 we started cooking dinner.  I cleaned and filleted the two blue mackerel I had bought at 999 Seafood Market last Wednesday for $3.99/lb. and Suzette found her broiled mackerel recipe, which was simply broiling mackerel fillets coated with olive oil and a dash of lemon and smoked paprika.

We also made Asparagus and tomato couscous.  Suzette diced about 8 asparagus into 1 inch segments. She sautéed the asparagus. I sliced and chopped a clove of garlic and added it and a cup of couscous and 2 more T. of butter to the pot and heated 2/3 cup of water to the boil.  Then I added the water and covered the pot to let the water create steam and mix with the couscous.  Then I added 2/3 cup of diced tomatoes and 1/2 cup more of water to get the right water to couscous balance.

After the pot began to create steam, I turned down the heat to the lowest level and let it cook for about five minutes and then fluffed the couscous and put the lid back on. When the pot started steaming again I turned off the heat.

Will arrived a bit after 8:00 and Suzette plated piles of asparagus tomato couscous with a fillet of mackerel on top.

We loved this Mediterranean broiled fish dinner that we could have eaten in Spain or Morocco as easily and the wonderful wine.

We watched two episodes of The Durrells in Corfu.

Suzette gave me a 2 oz. Hershey’s Kiss as a Valentine’s Day gift, which we shared with sniffers of cognac.

Willy left at 10:00 and Suzette went to bed and I blogged.

This was a great day of food.

I am between I Pads.  My old one died and I ordered another one that arrived today, but until it is set up to operate I will not be able to attach photos.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment