Saturday, February 13, 2021

Feb 13, 2021 Brunch - Fried Egg Sandwich, Valentine’s Day Dinner – Roasted Pork Belly with Rosemary Sage and sun dried tomatoes, Scalloped Potatoes, and Roasted Asparagus

Feb 13, 2021 Brunch - Fried Egg Sandwich,   Valentine’s Day Dinner – Roasted Pork Belly with Rosemary Sage and sun dried tomatoes, Scalloped Potatoes, and Roasted Asparagus

I awakened at 5:30 and I was glad I did because Leicester was playing Liverpool and Leicester beat Liverpool 3 to 1.  That was the most exciting sports event of the month for me and kept Leicester in second place in the Premier League.

I watched the Impeachment for a while until Suzette made herself an egg sandwich and then I did too.  I make open faced sandwiches, so I whisked two eggs with two sliced green onions and a pinch of salt and pepper and fried the egg on both sides like a big pancake.  After I flipped it I added slices of manchego cheese and then when the egg pancake was fully cooked I flipped it in half so the cheese would melt in the middle. I toasted two slices of 9 Grain bread and spread them with mayonnaise and then put the egg on them. It was a lovely sandwich eaten with knife and fork.

We drove to Peter Eller’s house to see his new antique furniture at 10:30.

I worked watched more impeachment.  When the senate voted to call witnesses I got excited but soon realized they would make a deal to avoid calling Trump and stopped watching an worked on the puzzle Cynthia loaned us.

I then ate a cookie and read and napped until 5:30 when we started cooking dinner.

Roasted Pork Belly - I went to the garden and picked rosemary and sage for the dish

Suzette made a sort of glaze with oil and the herbs and tomatoes and roasted the pork for 90 minutes but it was still tough.

Scalloped Potatoes – the best dish was the potatoes, sliced in the Cuisinart and layered in two layers in a baking dish and dusted with flour and dollops of butter and Jarlsberg cheese. Suzette then added a mixture of ½ milk and ½ cream to fill to the top of the dish and baked.  Suzette tells me the secret is to use a sifter or sieve to make sure the flour is spread evenly in a light dusting so it will melt into a sauce and not clot.

 Suzette also roasted 8 lovely thick asparagus.

 I chilled a bottle of Reichart German Pinot Noir Rose ($4.99 at Trader Joe’s, the best Rose value in town) that was delicious with the dinner.

We decided the pork had not cooked enough to melt the fat and tenderize the meat, so Suzette put it back into the oven at 200 degrees for an additional two hours and it seemed to become tender.

We plan to have the same meal tomorrow night with the properly cooked Pork Belly and champagne for our official Valentine’s Dinner.

Valentine Dinner is special for us because Suzette and I had our first date on Valentine Day 23 years ago. She cooked a killer cassoulet.

How time flies when you are having fun.

I Pad not set up yet so no photos yet.

Bon Appetit   

 

 

 

 

 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment