Thursday, September 24, 2020

September 21, 2020 Lunch – Mexican Pork and Bean Stew Casserole Dinner – Eggplant Parmigiana with Spaghetti and Spinach

 September 21, 2020 Lunch – Mexican Pork and Bean Stew Casserole  Dinner – Eggplant Parmigiana with Spaghetti and Spinach

The first day without the Tour de France seemed a bit empty, but there were other distractions of note.  The most interesting was Market it did one of those extreme roller coaster rides today.  The Dow was down almost 1000 points at one point but began to recover in the afternoon and ended down only 510 points.  I bought 300 shares of Disney in the morning and I think it ended up a bit. The Apple stock I bought at 106.78 on a Friday did better.  Apple ended up to over 110 for the day, which helped my portfolio gain about 3/4% in value, even though the indices were down for the day.  Unfortunately, Apple still has not returned to the price I bought most of it at. I sold Apple when t fell from $134.00 to $128.00.  Then I bought most of it back at 116, but it continued to fall below 110 in the middle of last week, so I bought another 500 shares at $106.78 on Friday.  Luckily, as stated above, it closed at 110 again today.

I was hungry today after eating salad for dinner.  I ate two small toasted bagel halves spread with goat cheese and garnished with slices red onion and Gravad Lax.

A few minutes later I ate a bowl of blueberries and yogurt.

Then at 1:00 I heated the last of the Mexican Pork and Bean stew with about ½ cup of Tomatillo sauce and slices of Jarlsberg cheese with corn tortillas mixed in.


It was just as delicious today as in the last week.

I worked on obtaining proof of ownership of a some property escheated to the State of Texas and tried to finish up my federal taxes in the afternoon.

Willy came by to do Laundry at 3:00 and we took a quick 1/3 mile walk around the block and I invited him to dinner.

When Suzette arrived a little before 5:00 we decided to make Eggplant Parmigiana.  Suzette Grilled three thick slices of eggplant from her garden in Los Lunas.  She dusted the grilled eggplant slices in bread crumbs and then constructed a casserole in a Pyrex baking dish.  The bottom layer was PPI spaghetti.  Then she lay the sautéed and bread crumb coated eggplant slices and then slices of fresh mozzarella and fresh leaves of basil I picked in the garden. Finally, she covered everything with a thick coating of spaghetti sauce and Pecorino Romano cheese and baked the casserole in the oven for thirty minutes to heat everything and melt the cheese.

I had chilled a bottle of Faustino Rivero Reserva Tempranillo from the Rioja in Spain. We filled wine glasses with wine and de-stemmed enough spinach stems to lay a layer of fresh spinach on the bottom of each bowl. Suzette then divided the eggplant parmigiana between three pasta bowls and we each carried our bowl and glass of wine to the table in the gazebo and ate a delicious dinner.


We watched game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals tonight along with the Antiques Roadshow and NO play the Las Vegas Raiders in the NFL.

Willy left after dinner and I drank a cup of tea with 2 chocolate chip cookies.  Suzette Thad a glass of her homemade limoncello and a cookie.

We went to bed at 10:00, I blogged and Suzette slept.

I enjoyed the day and its food and activity.


Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment