Thursday, September 17, 2020

September 17, 2020 Lunch – New Recipe - Mexican Pork and Bean Stew with Tomatillo Sauce Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro Signature Chicken Pot Pie

 September 17, 2020 Lunch – New Recipe - Mexican Pork and Bean Stew with Tomatillo Sauce  Dinner – Greenhouse Bistro Signature Chicken Pot Pie

I woke up at 4:00 to look at the Tour and went back to sleep at 5:20 and slept until 7:00 when Suzette awakened me to tell me she was leaving for work.

I watched the Race and ate a slice of toasted banana bread smeared with orange marmalade at 8:30, but missed the end of the stage because of loss of the connection of the TV to the Internet.  I got dressed at 9:15 and appeared at a Zoom hearing at 10:00 with Bill Turner.

I then showered and prepared lunch at noon. I have created a new dish that I like very much.  We had a large can of white beans that I cooked with a pork shoulder and about a quart of Tomatillo sauce I made by cooking and then emulsifying tomatillos, onions, oregano, and garlic. 

The result was a thick stew.  I cut three corn tortillas in halves and line the bottom of a pasta bowl with them.  Then I pour some Tomatillo sauce on them and then cover them with stew, then add more Tomatillo sauce and finally top the dish with grated Monterrey jack cheese and heat in the microwave until the top starts to bubble.

The brilliance of this recipe is that the tortillas absorb the liquid from the stew and sauce and become soft and pastry-like so one can cut bites of the stew and tortillas and they have the same consistencylike great enchiladas.

 At 2:00 I napped for an hour.  I meditated from 5:00 to 5:30 when Suzette came home with a freshly made chicken pot pie from her Greenhouse Bistro at the Center for Ageless Living.  She calls this one the Signature Chicken Pot Pie, but it s a standard 9 inch diameter pot pie with a wonderful flaky crust, not too many cubes of potato, lots of vegetables including onions, carrots, and celery.  It will easily serve six 

persons  Suzette heated pieces of it.  I fetched a bottle of La Granja Spanish Viura/Verdejo blend white wine I bought at Trader Joe’s for $5.99 and we had a simple but lovely meal. La Granja Viura/Verdejo  blend is my favorite wine with chicken dishes. It is a pleasant blend that does not have lots of acidity or citrus flavors.





After dinner we both wanted dessert, so Suzette place a scoop of java chocolate chip ice cream on a chocolate chip cookie and garnished with the delicious maraschino cherries she made and Hershey’s chocolate syrup and I added a dash of Kahlua.

Willy came by at 8:00 and Suzette heated him a piece of pot pore and he ate a chocolate chip cookie for dessert.

We watched Biden’s drive in town hall meeting and the Tampa Bay Lightning win the Eastern Division Championship of the NHL and advance to the Stanley Cup Finals against Dallas.

We talked to Amy for a while and then went to bed when Willy left at 9:30. I have connected a lamp to an extension cord and tonight connected my I Pad, so I can blog lying in bed., which is much more comfortable.

Bon Appetit



    


No comments:

Post a Comment