Monday, September 7, 2020

September 6, 2020 Lunch – Salmon Salad Salad. Dinner Roasted Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary with Steamed Broccoli

September 6, 2020  Lunch – Salmon Salad Salad. Dinner Roasted Chicken and Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary with Steamed Broccoli

This was Labor Day and I took a leisurely approach to it. Suzette went for a mile walk at 7:30 and while she was gone I toasted a slice of bagel and spread it with goat cheese and garnished it with sliced red onion and Gravad Lax.  

I usually wait ½ hour to let the food digest a bit for energy before I exercise.  When Suzette returned I rode 5 miles on my bike.  It was a little more difficult today for some reason and took two sugar pills.

When I returned I rested and watched the replay of yesterday’s stage of the Tour and then worked for an hour for my new transaction.

At 12:30 I made a salad with lettuce, a diced tomato and small cucumber plus the PPI salmon salad and a drizzle of Spanish olive oil.

I then read the Joe Biden article in the New New Yorker and rested.

I awakened at 3:30.  Suzette had mentioned roasting the chicken we had thawed yesterday with rosemary and garlic.  That recipe struck me as being very Greek or Lebanese, so I immediately thought about roasted potatoes with garlic and rosemary and a drizzle of olive oil.

I put a bottle of 2018 Barton & Guestier Les Petites Parcelles Vouvray into the freezer to chill.  I bought this Vouvray at Total Wine for about $13.50.  I have always recognized B &G as a reliable French exporter.  The label says they have been in the wine business since 1725.  The wine was clean tasting with a bit of citrus and sweetness.  Suzette thought the wine’s crispness and sweetness balanced the predominantly oily garlic flavors of dinner.  Here are the winery’s tasting notes: Pale straw with green highlights. Great nose of subtle white flowers mixed with white fruits A lovely and intense wine with floral notes, peach and pear flavours. – Winery


 I cleaned the chicken we had thawed and stuffed rosemary and garlic  under its skin and rubbed it with butter like Julia Child did and roasted on a Spandex roasting frame in a ceramic baking dish filled with1/3 inch of water. I pre-heated the oven to 400 degrees and roasted the chicken for fifteen minutes and then lowered the oven temp to 350 degrees.  I peeled and cubed a large potato and tossed the cubes in olive oil and added two sliced cloves of garlic and a T. of rosemary leaves in a Pyrex baking dish covered with aluminum foil and put the potatoes into the oven to roast with the chicken.

After 45 minutes I removed the foil and tossed the potatoes and baked them another 30 minutes to brown them a bit and the removed them from the oven and recovered them with foil.

Suzette came home around 6:15 and tested the chicken for doneness.  One side was 175 degrees and the other side only 145 so we Roasted it another fifteen minutes.

I deflowered a head of broccoli and we steamed the broccoli for 8 to 10 minutes and were ready to eat.

I cut the wings and leg quarters off the chicken and placed them on the plates Suzette had placed the potatoes and some of the broccoli.

Suzette then poured glasses of Chenin Blanc and we enjoyed a wonderful dinner.

After dinner we drank glasses of lemincello over crushed ice and then bowls of Java chocolate chip ice cream garnished with five or six maraschino cherries and sauce Suzette made last year.

What a wonderful day of food, the goal of which was to have chicken breasts for chicken salad.  We also ended up with a bag of PPI broccoli.

We decided we are good cooks as we ate a great meal of roasted Greek Chicken and potatoes topped off with Suzette’s homemade lemincello and maraschino cherries over ice cream.

Bon Appetit             


No comments:

Post a Comment