Sunday, August 11, 2024

August 10, 2024 Lunch - The Burger Stand and Ale House. Dinner - Peach Cobbler

 August 10, 2024 Lunch - The Burger Stand and Ale House. Dinner - Peach Cobbler


I ate 1/2 of a pain au chocolate and packed my suitcase and then at 8:30 grabbed the bag with six pain au chocolate and walked next door to Jonathan and Beth’s shop, house, and batik workshop to finish the sunflower batik.


Beth heated three pain au chocolate in their hot air fryer, which is a small convection oven for three minutes that made them hot and flaky, like a fresh warm croissant and made me a coffee.  I covered the green background for the sunflowerwith wax which readied the work to be brushed with black dye.


After I covered the background with wax, I brushed the background to cover the green. Then I brushed the surface with black dye that penetrated the surface to color the exposed areas with thin black lines.







I finally understood how wax resist works. Yesterday, after I copied the image onto a clean white handkerchief with a graphite pencil, I numbered each different colored area with a number and the white areas with a “w”.


All areas wished to remain white are covered with wax, Then a knowledge of color theory is needed to build the color scheme. First we dyed the entire piece with yellow dye and let that dry. Then I covered the yellow and we dyed the piece in blue dye to get an avocado green.That was as much as I did yesterday, the first 8 hour day I had worked continuously in many years.


Today, after I covered the green background with wax, I brushed the surface areas that would be black with dye, we dried the piece for a few minutes and then Johnathan heated a large pot of water on a gas grill outside to a boil and added soda  as a fixative and then dipped the pieces into the boiling water to remove all of the wax. Then the pieces were hung on a clothesline to dry. It was a sunny day and by 11:00 we had fetched our works and said our thank you’s to Johnathan and Beth.


At 11:30 we drove to Fort Garland and turned south onto Colorado 159 and drove through San Luis and the San Luis Valley to Taos.


When we arrived in Taos, it was 2:00 and we were hungry. We had decided to eat at the Burger Stand and Ale House in Taos. I ordered a double meat Smoky burger with a slice of smoked Gouda, fried onions, bacon, and two hamburgers wth fried onion rings that was $16.00. I ordered a stout from Tractor Brewing. Suzette ordered fish and chips which was served with pickled red onions, Cole slaw, and a pile of fried potatoes for $19.00. I had trouble finishing my burger but I enjoyed it so I finished it. Suzette could not finish her fish and chips but she drank her ale. The fried fish probably had been frozen because it was a little dry.


We drove home after eating, only stopping for gas at Santo Domingo.


When we arrived home and brought in all the stuff, we watch Olympics and the news, including the men’s basketball final, which the U.S. won handily against France.


A little later Suzette heated a square of peach cobbler and scooped some vanilla ice cream on it for light dinner.




Bon Appetit 



No comments:

Post a Comment