Tuesday, July 11, 2023

July 11, 2023 Lunch - Menudo at Cafe Juarez. Dinner - Steamed Pink Grouper with Fried Rice, green beans, and slivered almonds and Cole Slaw

 July 11, 2023 Lunch - Menudo at Cafe Juarez. Dinner - Steamed Pink Grouper with Fried Rice, green beans, and slivered almonds and Cole Slaw


I woke up at 7:00 and worked for an hour and then ate a pita pocket filled with Tabouli and labni for breakfast.




I then got dressed and at 10:00 met Denise Ready and Erik Parker from the Albuquerque Museum Foundation that supports the Albuquerque Museum.


A little later Peter came over and we walked through the house and I showed them the pictures and a Erik took pictures of most of the works.


When they left at 11:30, Peter and I decided to go get lunch at Peter’s new more wonderful menudo place, Cafe Juarez on Gibson near Carlisle where menudo is on the menu every day.


We both ordered small bowls of menudo. Peter ordered a small guacamole salad and a lemonade and I ordered a 500 ml. Mexican coke.








I enjoyed the menudo which was pretty hot and more full of menudo than hominy. The only objection was that the menudo was in large chunks that I had to cut into smaller pieces.


I will probably return to Cafe Juarez because the prices were reasonable and the food very flavorful.


After lunch Peter walked next door to Richard’s pawn shop and I drove to the 99 store where I bought a .75 lb. pink grouper steak and a 1 1/2 lb. Whole yellow tail mackerel, a package of beech mushrooms, sugar snap peas, a fresh bamboo shoot, and a bag of Shanghai baby bok Choy.


I then drove back to pick up Peter at the pawn shop and we drove home where I made two Vietnamese iced coffees that we drank as I watched the stock market close on a Dow rally of almost 1% and the NASDAQ up 1/2%. My portfolio was up .76%, in line with the average of the two indices’ increases.


I then drafted a set of interrogators and at 4:00 lay down to watch the news and nap.  I got up at 5:30 and Suzette go the steamer oven working so she decided to steam the Grouper steak on a bed of lemon slices wrapped in kale and Korean basil leaves, instead of ojo santo leaves


We also decided to sauté some green beans, slivered almonds, and rice.


I snapped the handful of green beans and Suzette fetched the slivered almonds and we sautéed them with one cup of rice in a skillet.




When the grouper was steamed I boned the two filets off the big central bone and put each on a bed of the fried rice, green beans, and almonds and added some cole slaw.


I poured a glass of Pinot Grigio for me and a glass of fizzy Pinot Grigio rose for Suzette and we ate a lovely dinner.


The grouper had an incredibly tender texture and it had an incredibly clean taste. I am glad Suzette got the steamer oven working because steaming fish on a bed of herbs is my favorite way to cook fish.


At 7:00 we watched Finding your Roots and drank liquor glasses of limoncello. Tonight’s show featured Angelica Houston, whose father was John Houston, Mia Farrow whose mother was Maureen O’Hara, and Isabella Rossellini, whose mother was Ingrid Bergman, so there were interesting lineages for each.


We then watched a bit of the baseball All-star game and ate ice cream with maraschino cherries and then went to bed at 9:00.


Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment