Friday, March 31, 2023

March 31, 2023 Lunch - Taj Mahal. Dinner - Tandoori chicken with turmeric rice and Raita

March 31, 2023 Lunch - Taj Mahal. Dinner - Tandoori chicken with turmeric rice and Raita

I awakened at 8:00 and was immediately surprised that the market was up for the third day in a row.  As it turned out the Dow ended up 415 and the NASDAQ was up 208.  More importantly my holdings of Apple and Boeing went positive for the first time this year, which is an increase of 24% from the portfolio’s low earlier this year.


I made a special man on a raft with an egg plus three egg whites for breakfast.



I then dressed and at 10:30 I drove to Pastian’s Bakery where I bought hamburger buns, hot dog buns, and a loaf of whole wheat sandwich bread for a total of $1.62.


I then drove to Smith’s where I bought asparagus for $.99/lb., large avocados for $.88 each, plums in syrup for Suzette, black beans, garbanzos, a wedge of aged Gruyere, eggs, yogurt, oatmeal cookies, angus hamburger meat, shallots, garlic, and vanilla ice cream.


I then was called by Suzette, who was driving back from her morning seminar and we decided to meet next door to Smith’s at Taj Mahal for lunch.  I was happy to stop for lunch because I was getting tired and sore.


I took a full plate of food with tandoori chicken, grilled onions, chicken curry in a tomato sauce, beef meatballs, a naan culcha, fried shrimp, saag, garbanzo Dahl, and raita.  We both ordered chai. Our waiter was Shamiz’ son, Aman, who I met for the first time. Suzette ate a little less. Good for her.


Taj Mahal has done something interesting with their pricing. They have maintained the same high quality in their food but raised the price of the buffet to maintain that high quality.  The price now for the buffet is $17.90.


After lunch we drove to Istanbul Market on Wyoming, which is my favorite Middle Eastern grocery.


Suzette needed a few items for a dish being offered at the Bistro and I added a few items to it.  We got Moroccan dried olives, a jar of cracked green olives with thyme, chocolate halvah, my favorite yogurt mint drink, and a new item, mango pickle, and a bag of six fresh baked pita.


Suzette got sumac, orzo, and dates.


We then drove back to Taj Mahal to take Suzette to her car and then we drove home.  


After I put up the groceries I confirmed that it was a monster day in the market with a gain in my portfolio of 1.45%.


I then napped until 3:30.


At 4:00 I watched Ari.


At 5:00 we were going to watch a movie but I wrapped the I Pad I am going to give to Alexi and then we made Potato Salad instead.  Suzette boiled seven or eight Yukon Gold potatoes. I then peeled and cubed them.  While I did that Suzette minced red onion, red bell pepper, hard boiled eggs, and celery and made a dressing with Mayo, mustard, sour cream, and pickle relish.


After the salad was made, we watched a few minutes of the new German version of All Quiet on the Western Front, but it was so violent and depressing we switched to Chris Hayes and then the women’s NCAA basketball tournament and Rachel.


I heated the last piece of tandoori chicken with some turmeric rice and ate it with the last of the raita we made Tuesday night for my dinner. I added mango chutney and some of the newly purchased mango pickle, that I liked very much because it was not highly seasoned and the mango was soft and ripe.



Suzette made cheese sandwiches by toasting and buttering two slices of rustic baguette and adding slices of herbed Gouda for her dinner.


We then switched back and forth from Lawrence to the second women’s basketball semi-final between undefeated South Carolina and Iowa, which Iowa won because of its dominant player named Clark who scored 41 points.


We then watched the 2023 Gershwin music award given to Joni Mitchell. When she received the award she sang Summertime from Porgy and Bess as a tribute to the Gershwin’s. Her voice is still strong and it was a thrilling conclusion to the evening.


We went to bed at 10:30 and I blogged this entry.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment