Friday, March 3, 2023

March 2, 2023 Lunch - Cream of Onion and a Snow Pea Soup. Dinner - Miniature Show at Albuquerque Art Museum

March 2, 2023 Lunch - Cream of Onion and a Snow Pea Soup. Dinner - Miniature Show at Albuquerque Art Museum


Suzette helped me dress in khakis and a nice shirt and loafer shoes this morning, so I would not need the dress again later.


 Today’ most exciting and dangerous meal was breakfast.  We had no milk or eggs so I went looking in the pantry for a can of fish.  I found a flat can with a pull top opener of Chicken of the Sea sardines packed in oil.


On the bottom of the can was printed a best if eaten before 2010.


That did not deter me.  I toasted thre small slices of baguette and spread them with Boursin.  I then boned each filet and clumped sardines on bread to make oily open faced sardine sandwiches.





I was a little concerned but as I felt better rather than worse as the morning progressed, I felt relieved and happy for trying a dangerous food adventure.


At 10:30 I did a vigorous session of physical therapy.


At 1:30 I poured my leftover crock of French onion soup and snow peas into a larger bowl with the rest of the French Onion soup and heated it.


The soup was hardy and filling with lots of cubes of beef and crisp snow peas.


Suzette brought home a gallon of milk at 4:30.


Then at 5:15 after the guilty verdict in the South Carolina murder case was announced, we drove to the library to pick up The Master and Margarita, this month’s book club selection.


We then drove to the Albuquerque Art Museum for the miniature show. Gala.  Joe and Mary McKinney had given us tickets.  The doors to the back gallery opened at 6:00. Appetizers of cured salmon on a slice of cucumber spread with cream cheese were served and glasses of champagne while we waited.  


Then when the back gallery was opened at 6:00 there was a central core area filled with more appetizers, including avocado toast, beef and mushroom skewers, a chicken roulade wrapped around a vegetable core, and carnitas on a corn tortilla chip, and baked Brie in a pastry crust.


There was a bar with a bar tender. Most importantly there were tables and chairs reserved for sponsors and two chairs marked with Joe and Mary’s names, so after walking around about 1/3 of the gallery I tired and retreated to a chair.  Then I walked with Suzette to the bar and got a Coca Cola, while Suzette was drinking champagne.  I drink coke whenever I need energy to keep going and after my first coke I was able to visit all the works.  There were none that I wanted or needed so at 7:45 when it was time tipi select works we sat and talked with Keith, a retired surgeon and Mary.  Joe did buy something but all the rest of us older folk agreed that there was no more wall space in our homes for art.


At 8:15 we left and discovered a tray of eclairs in the corridor.  We each ate one and Suzette packed two each in two cups, so we were able to carry four eclairs home.


When we got home I made a cup of Earl Grey tea with milk to wash down the eclair’s overly sweet Bavarian Cream filling.


Suzette went to bed and I stayed up to watch the news until midnight.


We enjoyed dressing up and getting out and I was happy to be able to walk with a cane.  The goal is develop stamina, now that the pain from my hip is gone.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment