Monday, March 27, 2023

March 26, 2023 Brunch - Bagels and Lax. Snack - Smoked Trout Soufflé with Creamed Spinach Sauce Dinner - Grilled Charcuterie Sandwich

March 26, 2023 Brunch - Bagels and Lax. Snack - Smoked Trout Soufflé with Creamed Spinach Sauce  Dinner - Grilled Charcuterie Sandwich 


I awakened at 6:00 and watched TV until 6:30 and then went back to sleep until 8:30. Suzette made cups of hot chocolate with Kahlua for us.


I watched the news until 10:30 when I sliced a Whole Foods everything bagel into three slices and toasted them and spread them with cream cheese and garnished them with slices of red onion and Gravad lax and capers for our brunch.



Suzette then went to the garden and Roto-tilled the three raised beds and the area where she wants to plant grapes.


I watched TV but when she returned around 3:00 she was hungry and suggested eating the leftover smoked trout soufflé.


While Suzette showered I made a garlic béchamel with dashi and whipped cream and grated some  nutmeg and added a handful of spinach.


It was delicious and very French.  It was the culmination of cooking three dishes.  First, the smoking of the trout.  Then the converting the trout into a soufflé, and finally preparing a creamed spinach sauce to pour over there-heated soufflé.




I tell myself, we are eating exceedingly well, and we prove it, time and again.


We drank glasses of La Granja Viura/Verdejo Spanish white blend with lunch.


Then at 4:00 I walked around the block which was a new post-op distance record for me. I ate an oatmeal cookie, but no sugar pill.


When I returned home a watched Texas lose to Miami in the round of eight in NCAA finals.


Suzette ate ice cream with chocolate syrup for dinner but  I made a cooked charcuterie sandwich.


When I was attending UT we used to stop at Nemacheck’s Meat market in Abbott on the drive to Austin and buy a thick slice of their Bologna.  When we arrived in Austin we would make fried Bologna grilled sandwiches. 


That is sort of what I did this evening.  I toasted two slices of  grain bread  in a skillet with several thin slices of red onion. Then I flipped the pieces of bread and sautéed about 8 slices of salami and four slices of cured ham.


I then flipped the toasted slices of bread and sautéed the salami and cured ham with the bread. I then lay the onions on the toasted slices of bread and then salami and ham on each slice and finally I toasted the sandwich while I went to the garage to fetch a Magner’s apple cider and ate a wonderful dinner.



Bon Appetit     




 



No comments:

Post a Comment