Monday, March 20, 2023

March 20, 2023 Lunch - Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner - Reuben Sandwich

March 20, 2023 Lunch - Hot Dog at Costco. Dinner - Reuben Sandwich 

Today was a very interesting food day. I ate moderate amounts of food spaced perfectly so I got nutrition when I needed it and did not over eat.


I ate a bowl of granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt around 9:30.


Then I drove to my podiatry appointment at 10:45.


After podiatry I drove the short distance to Costco and was lucky enough to get a handicapped space near the entrance.


I decided to shop and then eat at 1:00.  I went a little crazy. Besides the  basics we needed of eggs, spinach, fresh trout, Dewar’s scotch, xerox paper, and Yukon Gold potatoes, I bought a bottle of Grand Marnier, a bottle of King’s Estate Pinot Gris, a bottle of Chablis Premier Cru, a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape, six bottles of Kirkland Rioja Reserva, and five bottles of Kirkland Chianti Riserva.  In addition I bought lamb chops, seaweed salad, heavy cream, Asparagus, a three pack of Boursin on sale for $6.99, and 3 lb. of thick sliced bacon for a total of $383.00.


By the time I finished shopping around 1:15 my body was weakening, but I was able to order a hot dog and drink for $1.50 and find a table.


I took my time to eat and drank two glasses of Tropicana pink lemonade while I read my Master and Margarita book.


After lunch I got a helper to load the stuff into the Prius and then I filled the car with gas that has risen to $3.16 per gallon.


As I drove home I remembered that Suzette had said she would make Reuben Sandwiches for dinner if I bought a loaf of Rye bread, so I doubled back to Pastian’s Bakery and bought a loaf of Jewish light rye and a loaf of 9 grain bread for $1.08.


When I arrived at home a bit after 2:00 I unloaded the perishables.


I worked on both of my litigation cases until 4:15 when I ate a square of bittersweet chocolate and finally lay down and read and took a nap until 5:30.


I was not hungry so I watched the news and read until 6:30 when I made a cup of tea and checked in with Suzette.  She did not need or want any help making the Reuben Sandwiches which is often the case when she is cooking German Cuisine.  She chopped and sautéed corned beef and cabbage and made a sweet Russian dressing with pickle relish, mayonnaise, and catsup.  She then pan toasted two slices of rye bread with butter for each sandwich and then turned the slices of bread and spread the insides with Russian dressing and lay corn beef and cabbage and cheese on one slice and then put the other inside slice on top and toasted the outsides in butter to melt the cheese and toast the bread with butter.






The result was delicious.  It did not look filling but it was. We savored the warm melted cheese, mixed with corned beef and cabbage sandwiches with a glass of the remaining Famille Perrin Cotes Du Rhone left from last night’s dinner.



This simple dinner was completely satisfying, just as the hot dog, and granola had been.  I felt like it had the correct spacing of food and exertion, except for a few minutes at the end of the massive shopping spree at Costco when I began to fade.


I did not crave dessert after dinner and we went to bed at 9:00 at the end of the Antiques Roadshow.


I would say this was a good day of activity and moderation in eating.


Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment