Wednesday, July 13, 2022

July 13, 2022 Brunch - Curious Toast. Lunch - Sandwiches and garnish. Dinner - PPI Stir Fried Scallops with Yu Choy with rive and asparagus

 July 13, 2022 Brunch - Curious Toast. Lunch - Sandwiches and garnish. Dinner - PPI Stir Fried Scallops with Yu Choy with rive and asparagus 


I worked in the morning until 8:30 when I ate an apple and two fig bars while I watched the last huge climb of the day on Stage 11 of the Tour de France.  It was an amazing day because the yellow Jersey leader Pogajar cracked and Vinegaard, the Dane, who was in second place by 40 seconds won the stage by 2 minutes and 40 seconds to go ahead of Pogajar by 2 minutes and into the yellow Jersey.


After the race Suzette and I drove to Curious Toast on Central for brunch.  The food was creative, but the kitchen is small so everything is elegant but undersized and not inexpensive. I ordered golden waffles and was served three mini waffles spread with ricotta cheese that created a palette for a lovely arrangement of fresh berries on each.  Suzette ordered the Bendi which was a toasted piece of bread spread with lemon aioli and garnished with a sliced 1/2 avocado two halves of a soft boiled egg and pomegranate seeds.  It was pretty but I was happy to have eaten an hour before I went.  I probably will not go back.








We then went home and worked. I stopped at 1:30 and made myself three small open faced sandwiches; one with butter and pate and slices of Jarlsberg cheese, one with Mayo and slices of salami, some mustard, and slices of Jarlsberg cheese, and one spread with sour cream and garnished with sliced red onion and herring in wine sauce. I added dill pickles, a Persian cucumber, carrot sticks and tomatoes.


I fetched a Negra Modelo from the garage.




Suzette took a sip of beer on her way out the door with one of the ottomans to have it upholstered with the steer hide she bought last week.


I watched the EUFA match between Portugal and the Netherlands.  Portugal tied at 2 to 2 early in the second half but The Netherlands scored one more goal to win the match even though they were without two of their best players.


I then lay down and read and napped until 4:30.


Suzette had returned but did not disturb me and the she came in and rested for an hour.


Suzette is driven. She got up and made a liner for the new cover for the other ottoman.


Suzette asked me to prepare dinner.  There was not much to do.  I cooked a cup of rice and sliced seven or eight asparagus into 1 inch slices and added then to the rice to steam with about 2 T. of chopped red onion.


When the rice was ready we heated the PPI stir fried scallops with Yu Choy in the microwave, Suzette fetched a bottle of Gruet Petit Meunier from the garage. The wine was perfect with the food and we enjoyed drinking the rest of the bottle after the meal. We loved its nutty, yet strong character.




We watched the Somebody Feed Phil episode on San Francisco and found out Phil and Alice Waters are old friends. Phil gave Alice a lovely compliment that was also true when her said, “Alice Waters is why we eat the way we do in America.  She started the farm to table movement.”


That quote told me Phil was a hard core, well informed foodie.


After Phil’s eating in San Francisco ended we walked 1/3 mile around the block and then soaked in the hot tub.


Finally, we went to bed refreshed.


Bon Appetit.


No comments:

Post a Comment