Tuesday, July 12, 2022

July 11, 2022 Lunch - Chile Relleno and refried beans at El Super. Dinner - PPI Pasta, crab, mushrooms, and garden greens.

July 11, 2022 Lunch - Chile Relleno and refried beans at El Super. Dinner - PPI Pasta, crab, mushrooms, and garden greens.


Today Suzette woke up at 5:00 to go to work to clean out a shed before the temperature rose to its projected 98 degrees.


I worked until 10:00 and toasted a piece of Russian rye and spread peanut butter and honey on one side and buttered the other side and lay slices of Manchego cheese and cured ham on the other half.  I ate them with a cup of tea and then walked 1/3 mile around the block.  I had hoped to walk 1/2 mile but the temperature was rising rapidly.



When I returned I worked until 2:00 and checked the market, which was down but not as much as where I sold Apple and Square but lower than where I sold Nvidia.


I drove to El Super at 3:00. The temperature gauge on the mini registered 98 degrees and I could feel the heat.


I first went to the Cocina and ordered a Chile Relleno plate with double beans.  The plate costs $7.99 for one Chile Relleno, two toasted flour tortillas, and lots of refried beans.  I also ordered a can of coke for $.99. The condiments bar is open again so I added chopped onion and cilantro to the beans. I made two Chile Relleno burritos with beans and loved lunch because when I ordered the Chile Relleno the lady went back to the kitchen and fetched me a freshly cooked Relleno.  I know because when I cut it in half to lay each half in an a tortilla, the cheese oozed out and the egg batter coating was crisp.


After lunch I was ready to shop.


It was a good day of shopping.  I bought a pineapple, three mangos, six lemons, 7 limes, a red onion, several lb. of yellow onions, cilantro, green onions, 1.75 lb. of shrimp, 3.6 lb. of chicken thighs, a gallon of milk, green beans, 3 lb.s of asparagus, oranges, a 12 pack of Negra Modelo, and 6  Persian cucumbers for $54.00.


I drove home at around 5:00 when the temperature was still 98 degrees.


Suzette helped me unload the car, but she collapsed in front of the TV tired and sore from her day of cleaning a she’s in the heat.


We rested until 7:00 when Willy returned from a run to check his laundry and join us for dinner.


Willy brought in a bag of broccoli and cut flowerets off a head of broccoli and put them into the steamer and filled the steamer with water to the level of the broccoli and steamed the broccoli.


I filled a Pyrex baking dish with the last chicken thigh cooked in mole sauce and some of the rice we cooked with the mole and we heated it with the plastic container filled with the PPI Pasta, crab, mushrooms, and garden greens from 2 nights ago.



                                                   The chicken mole


Willy helped me locate a bottle of 2019 Herman Wiemer Magdalena Vineyard Riesling from NY’s Finger Lakes.  This was an elegant expression of Riesling at its best. It is a $40.00 bottle of Riesling and worth it.  I loved the wine and was happy we drank an elegant wine with an elegant dinner.






Here are some tasting notes and a rating of 90 and 93 points.


93 Wine Enthusiast 5/1/2021

"Concentrated aromas of lemon oil, peach, pine and struck flint grace the nose of this single-vineyard Riesling. It’s rounded and full in feel on the palate, filled out by juicy orchard fruit flavors yet expertly honed by zesty acidity and a delicate grip of white tea. A lemon oil tone lingers on the finish, but with ample lift and length." (93 pts.)


After dinner we watched two episodes of Street Food.  Each episode  focuses on the lives of a street food vendor and their family, one in Delhi and the other in Ho Chi Minh City. The Delhi served Potato Chaat and the Vietnamese served sea snails.

They were unique shows that showed how difficult their lives were.

The Magdalena Vineyards Riesling was wonderful. The memory of it lingers.

Also, the memory of the wonderful crab pasta made with fresh crab and fresh greens from our garden and the German Speatzle lingers. The dish made me think of how freshness of ingredients is the essence of Italian cuisine.

I am trying to walk a little every day and I am noticing that strength is returning slowly to my legs and the pain is subsiding.  Bravo.

At 9:00 Suzette went to bed and ate a Swedish dessert with a cup of tea and went to bed at 10:00.



Bon Appetit 












No comments:

Post a Comment