Sunday, July 31, 2022

July 31, 2022 Brunch - Bacon, Eggs, hash brown potatoes, and toast. Dinner - A one dish meal: Tomato Couscous with Lamb

July 31, 2022 Brunch - Bacon, Eggs, hash brown potatoes, and toast. Dinner - A one dish meal: Tomato Couscous with Lamb


Today I tried to walk before eating breakfast and my muscles got sore.


I ate a raspberry Newton when I came home and then around 10:00 I ate granola with milk and yogurt and cherries.


Willy came over to work with Suzette to rototill the raised bed.  I worked on the brief. We both finished around 11:30.


Willy and I watched the Women’s EURO final between Germany and England while Suzette made a wonderful brunch of Bacon, Eggs, hash brown potatoes, and toast. The new large yellow creamer potatoes I bought at Costco collapsed into slices and mounds of potato for a more lovely soft varied texture than the much more rigid russet potatoes.


England won for the first in many years, 2 to 1.


After the match and brunch Willy left for a hike and we lay down for a nap.


When we awakened around 4:00 we sent invitations for Suzette’s Birthday party on August 25th.


I started dinner while Suzette watched 60 Minutes at 6:15.  I combined the chopped tomatoes and parsley left from yesterday’s dinner, about 5 or 6 diced stalks of asparagus and added some dried basil and 3 T. of butter in a 2 Quart sauce pan and sautéed those ingredients for 3 to 4 minutes to cook them a bit.






I then heated 2 cups of water and added 1 cup of couscous to the pan and sautéed it with the other ingredients for several minutes until the water began to boil.  I then added 1 1/2 cups of boiling water to the vegetables and couscous and covered the pot and reduced the temperature and cooked for several more minutes.  I then turned off the heat and sliced and added four slices of PPI roasted lamb and fluffed the couscous. I seemed dry so I added another 1/4 cup of water and turned the heat on to medium for another couple of minutes to let the pot build up steam.

When you make couscous you are cooking with heat and steam.


After two more minutes the Couscous was perfectly cooked, not too dry, not too wet, and all the ingredients were cooked.








We ate dinner with Bobby Flay spicy mint and garlic sauce Suzette had made several weeks ago.


We drank the open bottle of Malbec Susan and Charlie gave me last Thursday.


At 7:00 we watched a documentary about Elizabeth Ii’s reign in her own words.  Then at 8:00 we watched Grantchester and at 9:00 the last episode of Hotel Portofino again.


I drank Calvados with milk chocolate and Suzette drank some cognac as we watched.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment