Thursday, June 9, 2022

June 9, 2022 Lunch - Greenhouse Bistro. Dinner - A Fresh ear of corn and Snow peas

June 9, 2022 Lunch - Greenhouse Bistro. Dinner - A Fresh ear of corn and Snow peas


I slept badly last night so I slept until 7:45.


I showered and put on my bathing suit and toasted a bagel and spread cream cheese on it and then slices of red onion, Gravad lax, and a small spoonful of capers.  I made a cup of Earl Grey tea with milk and enjoyed my breakfast.





At 12:00 I drove to the Center in Los Lunas and swam with Suzette from 1:15 to 1:45.


We then ate lunch.  Chef Josh made Suzette the Thursday employee lunch of a cheese burger, potato salad, and potato chips. Suzette drank a Pellegrino water.





I saw that the blue plate special was Chicken Fried Steak.  I asked the Chef if it was good and he said, “Yes.”


So I ordered it and a garden salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing.





After it was served we talked a bit and I told him I was from Fort Worth and the phrase I grew up with was, “When in doubt order Chicken Fried Steak.”


I soon learned that his grand parents owned a ranch in West Texas at a small town named Roscoe, where he spent summers. So he has a connection to the same cultural tradition that I do.  


Everything about the Chicken fried steak was perfect.  The steak was sirloin that he hand pounded.  The steak was laid on a mound of red potatoes that were mashed with the skins left on. The white gravy was not too peppery and not too greasy.  There was the obligatory pile of corn kernels that had been frozen. I drank pink 



I loved the dish and would eat as often as possible if I gave up any regard for my health.


Suzette liked her hamburger and gave me a bite and I liked it also.


Suzette introduced me to the new waitress, Kip, and the new astray chef, Brianna.


Coincidentally, Brianna was making Clafoutis so after Suzette returned to her office I stayed in order to try the Clafoutis. 


It was fine.  I liked it and my only comment was to cut the cherries in half and to perhaps enrich the custard by using 2 parts milk to 1 part cream.


After lunch I drove back to Albuquerque and to MVD Express and obtained my handicapped permit.


I then drove to Smith’s and bought bacon, pork ribs, chocolate ice cream, cream cheese, salmon, and horseradish.


When I arrived home at 5:30 I realized I missed meditation.


We had cocktails and watched the news until 6:00 when the January 6th select Committee hearing started.


Neither of us were hungry after our big lunches, so we decided to eat an ear of corn and the fresh snow peas from our garden for dinner.





We enjoyed the lovely white corn. Suzette boiled all 4 ears and shaved the kernels off cob of the remaining two ears that she will make into a corn pudding tomorrow evening.


Suzette drank a glass of Riechard German Riesling with dinner.  I drank water.


After the hearing we watched the 3rd period of game five of the Eastern Playoffs between The NY Rangers and the Tampa Bay Lightning, which Tampa Won with a tie breaking goal with less than 2 minutes left.


Later we each ate some ice cream.


I am feeling better.  I think the water movement is helping.


I went into the pool twice this week for thirty minutes each time.


I think Josh is a really good chef.  I enjoy his food immensely.


When I mentioned that round steak is usually the cut of choice for chicken fried steak, he told me round steak is $17.00/lb. But if he buys a whole slab of sirloin it is a bit over $3.00/lb.  I commended him on being creative and creating a better product at a lower price.  I will always prefer sirloin to round steak and suspect there is a lot less pounding required with sirloin.


Bo Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment