Saturday, October 2, 2021

October 2, 2021 Breakfast - Sausage and Egg Sandwich. Dinner -Scalo

 October 2, 2021 Breakfast - Sausage and Egg Sandwich. Dinner -Scalo


It was a full and fun day.


I awakened at 5:00 and watched the first half of the Manchester United v Everton match. At 8:30 I was hungry and Suzette suggested an egg sandwich with sausage.  I sliced slices of red onion that we sautéed with two sausage patties. I whisked three eggs and several slices when Suzette cooked them into a large pancake in a skillet.


We toasted four slices of whole wheat sandwich bread snd Suzette spread Mayo on each slice.  I sliced one of the tomatoes we grew in our garden into four slices and Suzette constructed the sandwiches by layering a sausage patty with sautéed onion and 1/2 of the egg pancake between the two slices of bread.




I drank tea and Suzette made a Bloody Mary that she drank through a straw made from a stalk of lovage.


After breakfast we went for a walk along the top of the berm beside the bosque north of Central.  I walked 1 mile slowly but without pain.  I felt better after I finished but was tired.



When we returned home at 10:00 I made a cup of hot chocolate with a Swiss Miss mix, milk, water, a heaping T. of Starbucks cocoa mix and a dash of cognac and watched the TCU vs. Texas football game.  During the game I popped and ate a bag of popcorn for lunch.


TCU’s offense made three miscues that allowed Texas to score 9 points and Texas won by 5 points.  Also, TCU had trouble stopping Rijan Robinson who ran for over 200 yards.



Since I am an alumni of both TCU and Texas, my team wins either way.


Let’s hope Texas does as well next week against Oklahoma as it did today against TCU.


After the game ended I napped from 3:00 until 5:00 and then got dressed for the symphony’s third night of Beethoven music.  Tonight it was the Wellington Victory and piano concerto No. 5 with Olga Kern playing the piano again.  The symphony and Olga were both wonderful.  


I had never heard the Wellington Victory before but realized that Irving Berlin plagiarized the melody for America the Beautiful from Beethoven as I found myself singing America the Beautiful during the second movement. 


After the symphony we drove to Scalo to meet Nancy and Cliff for dinner.


We sat outside and were disturbed by cars and motorcycles racing along Central and gunning their engines.


Also the food was less than wonderful.  Suzette and I split the grilled octopus.  It was served in a lovely lemon and butter sauce but the octopus was undercooked and way too chewy. 




 Nancy and Cliff split the Butter and Blue cheese salad, which turned out to be the best dish of the meal.



I ordered duck confit on polenta.  The polenta was fine but the duck had been fried to crisp, so that there was very little moisture left in the duck.  




Cliff ordered Bolognese with Casarecce and Nancy and Suzette both ordered Radiator shaped pasta with Alfredo sauce and short ribs.  The short ribs had been chopped without removing the fat and mixed into the Alfredo sauce so if became a gooey mess. 



 We were not impressed. This was a terrible meal.


 But the wine special was interesting, a 2019 Walt Pinot Noir from Anderson Valley.  It was a little young and had a tannic after taste to me but Suzette liked it.




Cliff got a bowl of casarecce pasta mixed with pork and veal in a Bolognese sauce.



We talked until 9:45 and then said good night.


When we arrived at home, Suzette went to bed and I blogged about 1 hour and drank another cup of hot chocolate with a dash of cognac.


Neither of us slept particularly well after our meal at Scalo.


Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment