Wednesday, October 6, 2021

October 5, 2021 Lunch - Chicken and creamed herring sandwiches. Dinner - Smoked Stuffed Trout and Tomato and Kale flavored Quinoa

October 5, 2021 Lunch - Chicken and creamed herring sandwiches. Dinner - Smoked Stuffed Trout and Tomato and Kale flavored Quinoa 


This turned into a great food day.  I did not eat breakfast so at noon I made a creamed herring sandwich and two chicken sandwiches.  The creamed herring was a toasted slice of whole wheat bread on which I spread sour cream and garnished with a thin slice of red onion and then slices of creamed herring.


I toasted two other slices of whole wheat bread on which I spread Mayo and then garnished with a slice of chicken on which I spread Mayo and Dijon mustard and then lay slices of Iberico cheese and romaine lettuce.





I drank a glass of 2013 Wellington Roussanne wine.


I drove a document to Fatco on Montgomery at 3:30.  Then I pumped gas at Costco and went to the bank to deposit a check for Willy and then returned home.


Suzette called at 6:00 and I sawed two cedar planks for smoking the fresh trout we bought at Costco on Sunday and soaked them in the tub 


Suzette arrived around 5:30 after I submerged the cedar planks.


I went to the garden and plucked two handfuls of kale and chard, six or seven stalks of thyme, and a handful of chives. I plucked the seeded tops from several basil plants.


I thinly sliced the chives and plucked the leaves from the thyme stalks and chopped the last 1/2 T. of dill emulsified in 4 oz. of butter and stuffed into the stomach cavity of the three trout.


Suzette placed the trout of the soaked cedar boards and cooked them until the boards caught fire and the Suzette reduced the heat and the planks stopped burning and started smoking, giving the trout a smoky flavor.  We both agreed that we have gotten very close to perfecting the technique of smoking fish on the grill.





Quinoa with tomato and Kale.


I diced a tomato from Suzette’s garden and then destemmed and cut the kale and chard into bite sized pieces. I then heated two cups of water with two tsp.s of Knorr dehydrated sorfrito and added 1 1/2  cups of quinoa and then the kale and chard and cooked the Quinoa for about thirty minutes.


Willy went to garage and picked a bottle of chilled Italian Falerio white wine.



I filleted two of the trout and Suzette ladled a pile of the quinoa and then I put a fillet of trout on each pile of quinoa.



We enjoyed a pleasant dinner that was very healthy.  We watched two episodes of the Durrells in Corfu with Willy.


When Willy left, we put out the trash.


Suzette loaded the dishwasher and I sipped a cognac with some Grand Marnier and ate two Godiva chocolates.


Suzette went to bed at 10:00 and I at11:30.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment