Monday, October 18, 2021

October 17, 2021 Brunch - Fried Eggs, Sausage, Cottage Fries, and a sautéed onion slice. Dinner - Grilled Rib Steak with Sautéed Shishito peppers, mushrooms, and garlic

October 17, 2021 Brunch - Fried Eggs, Sausage, Cottage Fries, and a sautéed onion slice. Dinner - Grilled Rib Steak with Sautéed Shishito peppers, mushrooms, and garlic

Today was a lazy day for me and a busy day for Suzette.


I started by watching news and PL soccer from 7:30 until 10:50, when we ate breakfast.  I sliced two slices of onion and four slices of Jimmie Dean Sausage and sliced a Yukon Gold potato into thin slices. Suzette fried those items in two skillets and then fried four eggs in another skillet.


I cubed 1/4 cantaloupe and garnished our plates with cantaloupe cubes after Suzette plated them with country fries, eggs and sausage.


Suzette made a Bloody Mary and I made a cup of camomile tea with honey and the juice of 1/2 lime.



Suzette then left for The Center and did not return until after 5:00.


I relaxed and watched TV until noon when I heated the last Danish and made a cup of chai for a snack.




I then tried to ride my bike but the pump appears to be broken, so instead I enjoyed the warm sun by picking a bag of basil leaves to dry for the winter.


Then at 3:00 I toasted and buttered two slices of French baguette and then made two open faced sandwiches with Jarlsberg cheese slices, seeded mustard, and slices of Salami with a glass of wine and then napped until 5:15.




After Suzette arrived and had her cocktail and watched a home decorating show to relax for a few minutes, at around 5:30 we made a simple dinner.


At 5:15 Suzette had called and I put five potatoes and the acorn squash to bake in the oven.


Suzette prepped the three thin rib steaks I had thawed yesterday and grilled them all on the grill. Her plan is to eat one steak tonight and to use one steak for Beef Stroganoff tomorrow night.  Perhaps I will make French Onion Soup with the last steak and leftover bones.


I went to the garden and plucked a handful of chives and sliced the ones that were not ruined by frost into thin rounds.


I thinly sliced two cloves of garlic and five mushrooms and added the garlic and mushroom slices to a sauté pan with melted butter and olive oil.  After a minute we added our last 15 or 16 Shishito peppers and sautéed the vegetables. Shishito peppers became our green vegetable for dinner.


When the steaks were ready I sliced one and added the less well done slices to Suzette’s plate after she had plated the mushrooms and Shishito peppers and added an opened baked potato filled with butter and sour cream to each plate.





I took a bottle of Benton Lane 2014 Pinot Noir from the wine fridge and opened it because it had a twist off cap and because I wanted a Pinot Noir with the steak.  I liked it but it hit Suzette hard and after dinner she lay down to rest from 7:30 until 10:00. It was not as delicate as the Dundee Hills pinots like De Ponte, but I drank that last half of her glass after it had been sitting for three hours and it was delicious.  So perhaps it just takes a while for the Benton Lane Pinot to open up.




We went to bed at 10:30 after the Atlanta Braves beat the LA Dodgers in the second game of the National League playoffs and the Pittsburgh Steelers beat the Seattle Seahawks in overtime.


I slept until 3:30 when I awakened and finished this blog entry.


So today I ate a big breakfast, two snacks and a moderate dinner and no dessert. I did drink a small glass of pear brandy and a cup of chai after dinner while I watched Grantchester on PBS Mystery.


Bon Appetit 








No comments:

Post a Comment