Sunday, October 31, 2021

October 28, 2021 Lunch - Book Club Venison Stew and Bannock Dinner - PPI Roast Duck and Fried Tofu and Mixed Vegetables with rice

October 28, 2021 Lunch - Book Club Venison Stew and Bannock  Dinner - PPI Roast Duck and Fried Tofu and Mixed Vegetables with rice

I was awakened to the smell of Apple crisp. Suzette was in the kitchen baking or broiling the apple crisp to get the top to crisp up.


We then put the leaf in the table and lay the table cloth on the table and Suzette fetched the bowls for stew and bowls for crisp.


She left a few minutes after 9:00 and the rest of the prep for lunch and the book discussion was left to me.


I was already sore so I stopped to eat granola with milk, yogurt and blueberries for breakfast.


Then I set the table and fetched the stew and beers and a white wine and ginger ale. 


I made guacamole and filled bowls with praline pecans, dates, olives, biscochitos, and peanuts for the meeting.



Then at 10:30 I made the bannock.  Here is the recipe:


After flipping it I baked it for fifteen more minutes and turned off the heat and it got slightly scorched on the bottom as it sat for 45 minutes.



I added water and heated the stew and then turned off the heat as it began to stick to the bottom of the roasting pan.  I heated it again when everyone came.  Peter came at 11:30 and I had to ask him to drive to the store to pick up a bag of corn chips, which he did, God Bless him.


Everyone started arriving at 12:00. I opened the De Ponte 2016 Dundee Hills Pinot Noir.


Everyone took a bowl and I served the Venison Stew and Karl helped slice the Bannock into wedges so I could add a wedge of Bannock to each person’s bowl.


We then took our bowls to the dining room table set for eight and ate lunch.

We had followed a recipe from De Ponte titled Mustard and Cognac Beef Stew for the Venison Stew. Here is the recipe 



We adapted the recipe to Julia Child’s recipe for Boeuf Bourguignon by adding carrots, mushrooms, pearl onions, and potatoes.


It was a good entree.


After we finished the entree, I brought out the olives, guacamole, chips, the praline pecans, dates, and peanuts and we had our meeting.


At 2: 30 we ended the meeting by eating dessert, some of Suzette’s apple crisp with a bit of ice cream and Suzette’s homemade maraschino cherries.


Suzette had come home around 1;30 and ate a bowl of the Venison Stew so she got a taste and after the meeting I put the last of the stew into a container for a Charlie to take to Susan, so she could taste it.


Suzette’s apple crisp was amazing with all the lovely small slices of apple and all the raisins and cinnamon.


Also the Bannock bread was a success. Even though I scorched the bottom and the bottom was tough because I left it in the skillet, it was fully baked and tender and warm in the middle.


The book got a grade of C and the food got a grade of A.


I worked until 5:00 and then had to lie down.  Suzette came home and watched TV around 4:30.


Neither of us were particularly hungry or wanted to cook any more. 


We were lucky.  We had the leftovers from our lunch at East Ocean yesterday, the Roast Duck and Fried Tofu and mixed Vegetables and rice.


Suzette put all of that into a Pyrex baking dish and heated it in the microwave and we had a wonderful duck dinner.


We watch some of the Green Bay v. Arizona NFL game and at 8:25 switched to Midsomer Mystery and were in bed by 10:00.


Bon Appetit











No comments:

Post a Comment