Thursday, July 1, 2021

June 30, 2021 Lunch - chicken Salad salads. Dinner - Pork, Chard, and Zucchini Enchiladas with Guacamole

June 30, 2021 Lunch - chicken Salad salads. Dinner - Pork, Chard, and Zucchini Enchiladas with Guacamole 


I slept until 8:30 today.  Then I showered and dressed and went to my eye exam.  I passed with near 20/20 vision. 


I called Suzette after the exam to ask if there was PPI chicken salad left. 

She said, “ Yes.”


So I drove home and we made chicken salad salads with some of the lovely red leaf lettuce Suzette brought home yesterday, cubed tomatoes, Cucumber slices, bits of onion, and a big scoop of chicken salad.  Suzette worked at home today.  


Suzette toasted three slices of Bosque Bakery baguette, I buttered my two and spread them with goat cheese.  




Suzette poured glasses of Gruner Vetliner and we carried our plates outside to the table under the gazebo and ate lunch. I was pleased to see two pink water lilies blooming in our pond. It was cool, probably around 67 degrees, and drizzling, a very comfortable day.


After lunch I rested and watched the a tour de France individual time trials that I missed this morning until 2:30 when I checked my stock portfolio.  Again I was amazed that the market keeps going up with the Dow leading the way today up 210 points, while the NASDAQ was down 24 points. Although a square and Facebook were down, Apple, Crisper, and AIrBNB were up as were the oils and utilities. So I raked out a small gain for the day of .26%.


I worked a bit and at 3:44 drove to El Super to shop the Wednesday specials. I had suggested making enchiladas for dinner since we had corn tortillas, grated chees, and lots of BBQ pork.  I bought celery, radishes, large avocados for the party, lemons, onions, Persian cucumbers, two cucumbers, a head of romaine lettuce, Fuji apples, corn chips, limes, tomatoes, two types of cookies, smoked pork chops, and for the enchiladas, requeson, red enchilada sauce, refried black beans and sour cream. I also bought a large No. 7 can of Mexican style hominy for $2.50 for a total of $52.96.


When I returned at 6:00, Suzette helped me unload the car and store the food.


Pork Enchilada Casserole 


We then began to cook dinner.  We opened the two cans of red enchilada sauce and poured the contents into a sauce pan.  That liberated a can in which I put the grease from the large baking dish we used last night to bake the BBQ pork. Suzette washed out the baking dish and we were ready to make enchiladas.


We discussed ingredients and finally decided on three layers of ingredients including a layer of chard and golden zucchini. So Suzette went to the garden to pick chard and I sliced the golden zucchini into thin slices, as well as dicing two onions and a head of fresh garlic from our garden.


Suzette then prepped the enchiladas while I made guacamole.  She diced the leftover pork and  sautéed it with the onions and garlic.


She covered the bottom of the baking dish with red sauce and tortillas dipped in red chili to soften.  Then she laid the onion and pork and added requeson for the first layer and then another layer of tortillas softened in red chili sauce.  The next layer of ingredients was the zucchini and chard with grated cheese.  Then she added a another layer of soaked tortillas and poured the rest of the red enchilada sauce over everything to fill all the open crevices and we topped the dish with a light garnish of grated cheese.


Suzette baked the dish in a 350 degree oven for around 45 minutes to cook the zucchini and chard and to melt all the other ingredients into a massive casserole of unified flavors.





The Guacamole 


I put the meat of one large avocado into a mixing bowl and added about 3 oz. of minced onion, two cloves of garlic, 1/3 tsp. of salt, and a couple dashes of Cholula red chili sauce and about 1/3 cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaves. I mashed and mixed the ingredients to make a chunky paste.




Suzette fetched beers and served us each a pile of enchiladas and I fetched the container of sour cream.


We added sour cream and guacamole to our plate of enchiladas and ate a delicious dinner.


We have lots of enchiladas left, so I covered them with Saran and took them to the refrigerator in the garage.




The pork softened a bit when cooked into the enchiladas, which was a plus. The only ingredient that seemed firm was the diced onion, which I did not find objectionable.


I took my turmeric and collagen tablets with beer and ate a little more enchiladas to take the supplements with food.


We were full and sleepy. Suzette fell asleep in her chair while we were watching game two of the Stanley Cup finals between Tampa Bay and 

Montreal.


We went to bed at 9:00 full of wonderful enchiladas. I drank a cup of chai flavored with a slice of ginger to help cure some soreness in my throat.


I guess I chose to make enchiladas to add a bit of chili to my system to help cure the sore throat also.


As I write this blog at 3:00 a.m. I can say that those two strategies seem to have worked.  The soreness is gone.


I put a lot of faith in food as medicine.


Another wonderful day and the stock futures seem to be trending up a bit for Thursday. Around 3:00 the European markets are trading up and the Asian markets have closed down a bit so I can see how economic sentiment has affected those markets and also how their activity affects the US futures.  For example, the Dow futures are up and the NASDAQ futures just went negative, so it looks like a repeat of yesterday but with a downward trend, which means a slight loss for my portfolio.


Bon Appetit


Unfortunately, most of the rest of the world except, China and the US are still fighting covid.











No comments:

Post a Comment