Friday, July 30, 2021

July 27, 2021 Lunch - Chicken Salad Salad. Dinner - Sautéed Pork Chop with Fresh Sautéed Black Eyed Peas and Romano Beans with onions and garlic

July 27, 2021 Lunch - Chicken Salad Salad. Dinner - Sautéed Pork Chop with Fresh Sautéed Black Eyed Peas and Romano Beans with onions and garlic


I ate two slices of toasted bagel smeared with cream cheese and garnished with thin red onion slices, Gravad lax, and capers for breakfast.



For lunch I made another Chicken Salad Salad with the last of the iceberg lettuce, a red tomato cubed, a sliced radish, and 1/4 cucumber peeled, seeded, and sliced.  I dressed the salad with Cesar dressing and toasted three slices of French baguette and melted slices of Jarlsberg cheese onto them. 




Suzette worked late so at 5:00 I started prepping potato soup by slicing three leeks and five potatoes into thin slices.  I followed the Julia recipe, adding dehydrated chicken stock to 2 quarts of hot water to make a chicken broth and adding a T. of salt and cooking the vegetables for an hour.




When Suzette came home I started making onion soup by dicing the PPI rib steak and simmering it in a pot of water with two stalks of celery and two carrots sliced and 1 tsp of salt.  I sliced onions but found we did not have butter, so could not cook the onions.



Suzette decided to cook the fresh black eyed peas and Romano beans we bought at the Farmers’ Market last Saturday.


I sliced 1/3 each of a white and a red onion.  Suzette minced 6 cloves of garlic and sautéed the onions and then the beans and peas in olive oil.





In another large skillet Suzette sautéed two smoked pork chops and she re-heated a chicken thigh and potatoes for Willy.


When the beans and peas were cooked to just beyond all dente Suzette plated each of our plates with a pile of cooked peas and beans and then either a sautéed pork chop or chicken thigh.


We drank a bottle of chilled Gruner Vetliner that I bought at Trader Joe’s for $7.99 as I recall.


We have been drinking a lot of white wines this Summer, even with dishes that arguably could be combined with a rose or red wine.  I guess it is the coolness and lightness of the white that appeals to us.


Dee arrived at 8:40 and after we got his gear in we opened the Kelt cognac he brought me and Suzette and I drank sniffers of it while Dee drank Teacher’s Scotch. Willy left around 10:30.


Suzette went to bed shortly after 10:30, but I stayed up until 12:30 talking to Dee.


The fresh peas and beans were a lovely dish that I will not soon forget.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment