Thursday, July 1, 2021

July 1, 2021 Nothing but Leftovers, wonderful leftovers. lunch - Pork Enchiladas. Dinner - Chicken Curry

 July 1, 2021 Nothing but Leftovers, wonderful leftovers. lunch - Pork Enchiladas. Dinner - Chicken Curry


I ate granola with yogurt and milk for breakfast.


Then at 10:00 I drove to Sprouts to buy dill to make Gravad lax.


I also bought blueberries, my favorite fat free yogurt, a Tuscan melon, and five cucumbers for Suzette’s cucumber soup on Saturday.


When I returned home it was almost 12:00 and time to dial in to the funeral service for my cousin Anne Harris, who died on Tuesday. I finally was able to see the internment on my I Pad, so I saw my cousins at the grave.  A rather sad event and a reminder of our mortality.  Anne’s sister, Audrey and BIlly and I are the last of the children of Sam and Rachel Simon’s four children.


The funeral home said they would sent me the recording of the service. 


I then ate lunch of PPI enchiladas with dill pickles I had made and I refreshed the bottle of dill pickles with the five Persian cucumbers I had bought yesterday at El Super.


Gravad Lax


Then I rested and at 3:00 when Loyda left, I made Gravad lax.  


I mixed 1 cup sugar with 1 1/3 cup salt and 1 tsp. of ground black pepper.


I lay fresh dill on the bottom of a baking dish that fit the fillets tightly and cut two fillets that fit the dish.  I then spooned the dry mix onto the outside skin side of one fillet and lay it skin side down on the dill. I then spooned the dry mix on the inside of the fillet and added a thick layer of dill.


Then I spooned the dry mix onto the inside of the other fillet and lay it inside down on the first fillet.  Finally I spooned the rest of the mix on the top skin side up and covered it with more fresh dill.


I covered the dish with Saran and placed a brick on top of the fillets to press them together and placed the dish in the fridge to cure.





Suzette came home just before 5:00 and watched the news while I meditated until 5:30.


We decided to heat the PPI Curry and rice left from the other night.


We were both tired, so, since we did not need to cook, we lay down and took a nap.


I got up at 7:00 to watch Rachel Maddow and Suzette awakened a few minutes later.  It was an interesting show because Rachel read from the transcript from the arraignment hearing of Allen Wisselberg today and then analyzed the 15 indictment charges.


During Rachel’s show Suzette heated the Curry and we each ate a pile of rice and Curry.  I drank a beer and Suzette drank the last of the bottle of Gruner Vetliner.




We watched bits of Stage 6 of the Tour de France during commercials including the finish. Mark Cavendish won his second sprint finish again today putting him at 32 stage wins, within two stage wins of having won the most stage wins ever, one ahead of the great Eddie Merckx and one stage win from tying Merckx’ record of 33 wins.


At 8:10 Suzette asked if Midsomer Mystery was on.  I checked and it was and we changed to watch it.  Suzette drank a limoncello over ice and I drank two cups of chai with a few chocolate wafer cookies.


Suzette went to bed at 9;30 and I stayed up to blog and finish Luke’s book, Venus Juice.  


Bon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment