Friday, July 30, 2021

July 29, 2021 Lunch - Greenside Cafe, Cedar Crest. Dinner - Boiled Chicken breast, PPI Sautéed Black Eyed Peas, Romano beans, and onion and fresh tomato

July 29, 2021 Lunch - Greenside Cafe, Cedar Crest. Dinner - Boiled Chicken breast, PPI Sautéed Black Eyed Peas, Romano beans, and onion and fresh tomato


We awakened at 7:30 and got dressed and drove to Costco. Suzette dropped my off at 9:00 and drove to Home Depot to buy a bathroom vanity.  I shopped in about 30 minutes, selecting a rack of lamb riblets, asparagus, blueberries, gourmet salad, olive oil, and butter.


She picked me up as I walked out the door and we arrived home by 10:00


Today was book club. I fixed a toasted bagel slice with cream cheese, thin red onion slices, Gravad lax, and capers at 10:00.  Peter picked Charlie and me up at 10:45 and drove us to Greenside Cafe in Cedar Crest where we joined the other members for lunch. 


I ordered a 1/2 Monte Christo sandwich with a salad.  The best dish on the menu is the Chicken Fried Steak but I feared it would give me indigestion and make me fatter than I am already.


                                                               The chicken fried steak



After lunch we caravanned to Karl’s house in Paako and held a lengthy discussion of Machiavelli’s the Prince.


Karl served three desserts after the meeting, bunt cake, chocolate torte squares, and truffles. 


French Onion Soup - I returned home around 4:30, just in time to get ready to meditate at 5:00 when meditation ended at 5:30 I started preparing the French Onion Soup by adding 3 T. of butter and 1 T. of olive oil to the enameled casserole holding the 5 cups of onion slices I sliced two days ago.


I followed the Julia Child recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking.


I sautéed the onions covered for 15 minutes.  Then I added 1 tsp. of salt and 1/4 tsp of sugar and cooked the onions at medium heat for 40 minutes stirring frequently.  


I then added 3 T. of flour and stirred it in and cooked it for 3 or 4 minutes to cook the flour and then turned off the heat on the casserole.   Then I  fetched the beef stock I made three days ago by simmering some leftover rib steak with water, celery and two carrots sliced and heated it to a boil and then added 2 quarts of liquid, that was all the stock, and then added the cubes of beef I had made the stock with. I then let the soup cool.


Dinner - Suzette had cooked a whole chicken to make chicken stock for chicken and corn soup.  She heated the pot full of broth and the chicken.


Then she cut two slices of breast off the chicken and heated the PPI black eyed peas and Romano beans and onion and sliced one of the fresh tomatoes she brought from the Center for Ageless  Living’s garden.


I continue to be amazed at how delicious the beans and peas are.  I found the dinner to be wonderful when I combined pieces of chicken with forkfuls of beans and peas.




We opened a bottle of 2014 Benton Lane Pinot Blanc. It was pleasant but not exceptional. Perhaps because it is several years old.  






Dee arrived as we were finishing dinner.  We watched Midsomer Mystery and sipped a glass of Suzette’s wonderful lemincello.


We all went to bed at 9:30 after I took the onion soup to the garage.


Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment