Sunday, March 31, 2019

March 31, 2019 Lunch – Posole and Tamales. Dinner – Zucchini and Eggplant Baked in Spaghetti Sauce

March 31, 2019 Lunch – Posole and Tamales. Dinner – Zucchini and Eggplant Baked in Spaghetti Sauce

Every day is a new experiment to see what aids my regaining my strength and mobility.

Today was a day of eating huge amounts of carbs.

It started with two bagel sliced toasted and smeared with cream cheese and then slices of red onion and Lax and garnished with capers at 9:00.

Willy came at 9:30 to help unload the 20 large bags of enriched soil we bought at Costco yesterday.  I was impressed with his strength as he heaved bags into the wheel barrow and carted them to the various gardens around the yard.

We then made him oatmeal with cinnamon and diced apple which he sweetened with honey.  He did not finish his oatmeal, so I ate my second helping of carbs around 10:30.

Willy left to play soccer at 11:00 and Suzette left to go shopping, so I lay down after watching Liverpool beat Tottenham.

I awakened when Suzette returned around 1:45.  Suzette was hungry so we decided to eat Posole and tamales for lunch.  Suzette also mixed sour cream together with an avocado to garnish the Posole. Suzette heated the Posole in a pot and the tamales in a plate in their husks in the microwave.  When the Posole came to a boil we ladled some over two tamales, one made with pork byLoyda and Jody and the other a chicken and Green Chile one from Costco.

We shared a Negra Modelo beer.  Although I made this Posole before Christmas because I became ill and had surgery on December 21,  2018, this is the first time I have eaten any.  I loved it with the tamales.

We then drove to UNM to the Center for Southwestern Biology and toured its extensive collections during its open house.  For example, it has the second largest collection of mammals in the world and is adding specimens at the rate of 1000 per month. Many are genomic specimens stored in small test tubes at minus 180 degrees in storage tanks filled with nitrogen.

We drove home at 5:30 and watched some of 60 Minutes while Suzette made dinner.

She sliced eggplant and zucchini and covered them with the spaghetti sauce I made last week and slices of  mozzarella and baked the dish in the oven.

I went to the basement and found the bottle of Italian 2012 Griggorte Primativo.  It was surprisingly delicious and went well with dinner.  It had quite a lot of tannins but also some softer fruit.


We both enjoyed dinner.

I then went to bed to read the new book club selection, Underground Railroad and at 9:30 blogged.

I feel fine but stuffed full of carbs.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment