Saturday, March 2, 2019

March 2, 2019 Brunch – Bacon, Cottage Fries, and Fried eggs. Dinner – Reconstituted Meatball and Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce and PPI Spaghetti

March 2, 2019 Brunch – Bacon, Cottage Fries, and Fried eggs. Dinner – Reconstituted Meatball and Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce and PPI Spaghetti

What a difference a day makes.  Yesterday I could not eat anything but toast.  Today I am back thinking about food and eating it as well.

I follow Suzette’s lead when it comes to treating ailments, especially since she had a rougher bout of food poisoning than I did.

She apparently was awakened at 5:00 by a call from her business, an assisted living facility.  I slept through all and awakened at 7:30 refreshed and somewhat reinvigorated.

I asked if she wanted to fix breakfast and her response was, “I already have had a bowl of fruit and yogurt.”

I responded, “I guess I better have the same although I was thinking about bacon and eggs.”

So I had my bowl of fruit salad, yogurt, milk, and granola.

Later Suzette said she was hungry and wanted to eat bacon and eggs.

I then realized the power of suggestion as well as the apparent fact that Suzette was feeling better.

I was working to organize my stamp collection in bed while watching English Premier League soccer, so I said “call me if you need help.”

I got a phone call that lasted about ½ hour and luckily ended as Suzette called from the kitchen, “I am starting the eggs.”

So I got up and dressed and went to the kitchen and made a cup of tea as a Suzette plated brunch, Bacon, Cottage Fries, and Fried eggs.

I made my tea, ran to get the I Pad to take a photo and finally joined her at the table.  Here is a photo of the lovely brunch she made.


After brunch we went to the garage to see if there were enough cabinets to fill the apartment being remodeled at the candy store.  Luckily, there may be enough with only a bit of cabinetry work needed, which may save several thousand dollars.

As Suzette cleaned out the dirt exposed after moving all the cabinets I penned our phone number on a For Rent sign I had bought a month ago.

Suzette wanted to take the four or five empty cases of bottles to the recycling center.  I wanted to put up the For Rent sign at the candy store and go to El Super to replenish our fruits and vegetables.

So we drove to the recycling center beside the convention center to dump the bottles, then put up the sign, then stopped at Church Street a Café and talked to Marie for about ½ hour and finally drove to El Super.

We bought a pineapple, a papaya, onions, 30 still warm tortillas, tortilla chips, three small avocados for $.99, small Mexican limes for $.50/lb., sweet limes, four Bosc pears for poaching, a box of ramen noodle bowls for one of Suzette’s clients who will only eat ramen, four 7 oz. bags of tomato sauce for .$99, sweet potatoes, two mangos, and three soft Roma tomatoes to add to the spaghetti sauce.  We used our new plastic bags we bought in Sayulita, instead of any plastic bags and felt really good about reducing our carbon footprint.

When we arrived home around 4:30 we were hungry, so I started reconstituting the spaghetti sauce.  I diced about ¼ cup of red onions and started sautéing them in a 2 quart sauce pan in olive oil.  I then diced and added three mushrooms sliced.  Suzette suggested adding fresh sorrel, so she went to the
garden and picked a couple of handfuls of sorrel leaves and washed them along with several handfuls

of lettuce leaves.

I then de-stemmed them and chopped the leaves into bite sized pieces and added them to the pan.  I the diced three soft Roma tomatoes and added them.    I then added two 7 oz. bags of tomato sauce and then three small diced cloves of garlic, about 1 T. of oregano, five anchovy filets diced, and the PPI meat and mushroom spaghetti sauce.  The sauce was really thick, so I added about ½ cup of Clamato juice and about ¼ cup of red wine to thin it.  It turned into a creamy sauce, which is what I wanted.

We cooked the sauce for about ½ hour to cook the tomatoes, garlic, and mushrooms, during which time Suzette reconstituted the PPI Ceaser salad left from last Wednesday’s dinner by adding some fresh lettuce from our garden.

Suzette poured two glasses of Cherry Blossom California Pinot Noir and reheated the PPI spaghetti from Wednesday’s dinner and we were ready to eat.She mounded a pile of spaghetti in the middle of a pasta bowl and covered it with spoonfuls of sauce and filled two salad bowls with Caesar Salad.



                                                    Suzette grating cheese onto my pasta


We ate a lovely dinner and have enough sauce left for another meal.

After dinner I went back to my stamp collection and Suzette made blueberry cobbler, which she garnished with the apricot thyme sauce she made last year that we thawed when we cleaned out the garage refrigerator freezer last Sunday. She had asked me to buy containers of blueberries, which I did last Wednesday at Sprouts plus a ½ gallon of vanilla ice cream, so at 7:45 We took the cobbler out of the oven and added scoops of vanilla ice cream and I made a cup of hot tea and we ate a lovely warm dessert as we watched episodes of Chopped and Love it or List it.


I went back to bed to finish organizing my stamp collection at 8:15 after seeing my Business School Honors Program classmate, Lloyd Doggett, who has been the U.S. Representative for Austin for many years on Lawrence O’Donnell’s Last Word program on MSNBC.  Suzette followed soon thereafter.

I then blogged and read and went to bed after a lovely day of food shopping and cooking.

Bon Appetit









No comments:

Post a Comment