Saturday, March 16, 2019

March 15 was much different. I ate two slices of toasted everything whole wheat bagel spread with cream cheese and garnished with onion and Lax. A hardy meal to start the day.

March 15, 2019 Lunch – Church Street Café. Dinner – Downtown Farmers’ Market

Yesterday was a food wasteland.  We ate popcorn for dinner and I had a couple of herring on rye spread with sour cream open faced sandwiches for dinner.

I ate PPI Vietnamese Miso Soup for Lunch between appointments.

A busy uneventful day of food.

March 15 was much different.  I ate two slices of toasted everything whole wheat bagel spread with cream cheese and garnished with onion and Lax. A hardy meal to start the day.

At noon I showed the building to several prospects. I met with Marie at 2:30 to discuss and critique her lease with the City for 522 Romero.  We spent four hours editing, during which time I ordered and ate a chile relleno and two beef enchiladas with spinach and beans.  Church Street Café is not my favorite Mexican restaurant in Albuquerque, but it is one of my two favorite Mexican restaurants in Old Town.  La Placita being the other one.

Church Street does not make its own Mexican style Green Chile sauce made with chicken stock for the chile Relleno.  Instead it lays a pile of chopped green chile and cheese on top, which. I find unappealing.  The beef enchiladas were just okay, a corn tortilla dipped in oil and filled with taco meat and garnished with red Chile and cheese again.  I prefer enchiladas that are baked in the oven that collapse into a soft pastry like combination of meat, dough, and cheese. I really liked the spinach and the beans were just okay.  I am going to find an item on the menu that is really good someday.

When I arrived home at 6:30 Suzette said, “I want to go out to eat.”

I said, “I am ready, if you are paying.”

Suzette had read about a downtown Farmers’ Market at the new restaurant at fourth and Lead across from the Social Security building.

I did not notice its name but the owner said it was featuring a new country specific menu every two weeks.  Tonight the featured country was Spain.  We ordered plate filled with some grilled Octopus, five slices of fried and grilled potato (papas Fritos) and a pile of chick peas mixed with spinach ($13.00), a dish with four or five slices of thin grilled eggplant drizzled with honey and served with a cup of cream of fava bean soup ($7.00), and an eggless tortilla espanol made with a chick pea flour crust and layers of potato slices served with chick peas and spinach.  Chick pea was obviously the Legume de jour.  The dinner was more like three appetizers or tapas.










We were still a little hungry when we returned home.  Suzette ate the last of the vanilla ice cream with some blueberry clafoutis.

I had a desire for a cookie, so I made chocolate chocolate chip and raisin cookie.  I used the standard Toll House cookie recipe of ½ lb. butter, ¾ cup brown sugar, ¾ cup white granulated sugar, 1 tsp. of baking soda, 1 ½ tsp. of vanilla, ½ tsp. salt. I used 1 ¼ cup of almond flour and 1 cup of regular wheat flour, plus I added 1 T. of Hershey’s chocolate syrup, about 2 T. of cocoa, 1 cup of chocolate chips and ½ cup of raisins.  I liked the result although I find the traditional recipe a bit greasy and I awakened at 2:30 with a bit of an upset stomach, not sure if it was due to the wave of chick peas at dinner or the two chocolate chip cookies.  I will eat two more chocolate chocolate chip cookies
tomorrow to see which caused the upset.



Market watch – another up day for the Market.  My portfolio was up another ½% and for the first time since early October 2018 surpassed its December 31, 2017 level.  It is wonderful to be ahead again and awful that after a year and almost three months I have no real gain, although 2017 was a stellar year.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment