Monday, April 1, 2019

April 1, 2019 Lunch – Buffet King Dinner – PPI Pork and Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes

April 1, 2019  Lunch – Buffet King   Dinner – PPI Pork and Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes

It was a fun food day. I discovered a new restaurant that I liked very much, Buffet King.  Peter Eller came over at noon and as we were leaving the driveway I asked him what type of food did he want.  He answered, “Chinese at East Ocean.”

I started driving to East Ocean but realized as I drove that East Ocean is closed on Mondays, so I suggested Budai at the corner of Academy and San Mateo. As I approached Academy along San Mateo, Peter said, I enjoyed the side dish of Sweet and Sour Chicken,  as I turned the corner from San Mateo onto Academy I spied Buffet King at the corner of a Seagull and Academy and decided to try it.   Budai features gourmet Chinese food, so a big buffet probably would have great fried chicken and sweet and sour sauce.  Buffet King is in the space originally inhabited by Seagull Street.  It is huge, possibly 250 seats.  We were shown to a booth in one of the side rooms.

We immediately reconnoitered the offerings.  As I walked past one of the six or seven banks of hot trays a cook brought a pot of steamed clams out and dumped them into a holder next to me.  I grabbed a plate and filled it half full of clams.  I then ladled wonton soup into a cup and added two wontons from a steamer next to the soup cauldron and stepped around to the other side of the bank of trays and cauldrons and topped the cup off with hot and sour soup.  I took the soup and clams back to the table and shucked clams into the large cup of soup as I ate it for a zesty and delicious clam and wonton soup.  I was immediately sold of the Buffet King.  I soon noticed several Chinese eating the steamed clams, so it occurred to me that this was a legit Chinese restaurant.  I had then went to the sushi bar and took wasabi and pickled ginger and a pile of seaweed salad and about six red snapper sushi and six slices of pre-cut mackerel the man making sushi gave me when I said I did not eat the rice.  The wasabi was hot even when mixed with soy, but I had lots of pieces of pickled ginger to soften it sting and enjoyed the plate of sushi with seaweed salad.

                                               The last bit of my wonton soup with clams

I then went to the hot dishes and found several things I liked and one thing I loved.  I filled my plate with two BBQ spare ribs, four or five stir fried mushrooms, a long strip of Thai Chicken (which was a new dish that I loved), three pieces of Sesame Chicken, three flattened fried shrimp, and a small pile of sautéed green beans.  I loved everything except for a small part of the sesame chicken that was tough and one green bean that was flaccid.  Since we ordered water to drink instead of tea, I finished
the meal with another cup of wonton soup with three clams.

Peter tried a few desserts, so I ate a cream puff filled with overly sweet whipped cream.

The buffet was $8.20 I think, an incredible value for what we had eaten.

Max was waiting for me when I arrived home. I jumped into his truck and we drove to the candy store to make a final inspection.  It looks like Max will do the remodel.

After the walk through it was about 4:00, so we decided to go to Marble Brewery for a couple of beers.  Max drank a coffee flavored beer and I drank a Wildflower Wheat that was flavored with local honey.  We both liked our beers and had reason to celebrate because today I signed the dismissal of the foreclosure action against Max because we had recently signed a Modification agreement with the mortgage company, which ended the threat of loss of Max’s home he had grown up in.

Max said I was a different type of lawyer because I had worked for four years to help him save his house without asking for money and now he was going to help me remodel the candy store. We need to talk and draw up a contract, but I this the remodel will be at cost.

I did not return home until 6:30 and Suzette had arrived. We quickly decided to heat the PPI Pork and Sauerkraut from last week and add a diced apple to it and make mashed potatoes to serve with it.

I went to the garage and fetched the Pork and Sauerkraut and an apple.  I the peeled five potatoes and cubed them and put them in a pot of water and set them on the stove to boil.

Then I diced a gala apple and added the apple to the pork and stirred it in and broke up the larger
pieces of pork and added some water to help the apple stew with the other ingredients.

After the potatoes had boiled for five minutes Suzette mashed them with butter and half and half in the Kitchenaid mixer.

We decided to drink the last two glasses of Picton Bay Sauvignon Blanc in the fridge.

We enjoyed our quickly prepared meal so much that we each ate two bowls of it.  The addition of apple neutralized the spice in the sauerkraut that we had found unpleasant when we made the dish.


I count it a good day when one discovers a new restaurant, has several good beers with a friend at Marble Brewery, and a good dinner made without  much effort.

Perhaps I should just start driving in a random direction more often.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment