Tuesday, March 26, 2019

March 26, 2019 Lunch – Corn Beef. Hash, Catalan Spinach, and Poached Eggs Dinner – Chicken and Asparagus Stroganoff on Pasta

March 26, 2019 Lunch – Corn Beef. Hash, Catalan Spinach, and Poached Eggs   Dinner – Chicken and Asparagus Stroganoff on Pasta

From Japan to Central Europe in one day.

I started the day with a generous portion of tropical fruit salad on granola and yogurt, a biodynamic breakfast.

For lunch I heated corned beef and cottage fries with Catalan Spinach that included diced apple and sautéed pinon nuts in a medium skillet.  In a separate pan I heated water and poached three eggs.  After I added the eggs to the skillet I could not transfer them to a pasta bowl so I enjoyed a hot skillet lunch.  The whites of the poached eggs stuck to the bottom of the pan but the yolks floated and were still relatively viscous.


Todd came at 6:30 and we meditated until 7:15.

Chicken Stroganoff

Suzette arrived at 7:17.  After we said goodbye to Todd we decided we would combine the PPI roasted chicken breast with mushrooms and onions to make a Stroganoff.  I diced the chicken and ½ of a large onion and sliced five portobello mushrooms.  Suzette then cooked those ingredients in the large skillet with about 2 T. of butter and 1 1/2 T. of olive oil.  I then suggested that we add the last of a bunch of asparagus that were beginning to wilt.  I snapped the ends off and cut them into 1 ½ inch sections and we added them to the skillet.

We wanted to try a new wine.  I soon found a bottle of 2017 Domaine de Touch from Cotes de Gascogne that I think I bought at Trader Joe’s.

Suzette poured about three T. of the wine into the skillet and then some half and half and cooked that a bit to thicken the sauce.  She then  added about 1 T. of capers to the dish and adjusted the salt.

Suzette heated the PPI spaghetti in the microwave and put a pile in each of two pasta bowls and then ladled some of the Stroganoff on top.

Willy arrived just as Suzette was plating thE food and I was pouring the wine.

The Stroganoff was slightly dry (most of the liquid had evaporated) and so was the wine, so they each made a perfect complement for the other. We liked the wine a lot and had another glass after dinner, but it had tasted better with the Stroganoff.

Willy did not eat or drink any wine because he is in a rigorous training regime with his friend Robin and was on his way to the gym.

After Willy left we turned on the TV and discovered that the movie Hidden Figures was starting at 9:00.  We watched it until 12:00 and loved every moment of it, as well as the opportunity to not be inundated with news.

We each ate a piece of banana nut bread for dessert. I ate mine with some Earl Grey tea and milk.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment