Tuesday, May 1, 2018

May 1, 2018 Lunch – Subway Dinner – Baked Cornish Game Hen with Steamed Asparagus

May 1, 2018 Lunch – Subway  Dinner – Baked Cornish Game Hen with Steamed Asparagus

No breakfast.  I worked until 11:30 and then drove to a board meeting that served Subway sandwiches and chips. I drank a Dr. Pepper for the first time in months.

I went to another meeting at 3:30 that lasted until 4:45.  When I returned home I peeled and sliced a chayote and added it to the stewed Chayote I cooked last week and stewed it for about an hour.

I then opened a Cornish game hen and stuffed it with a lemon sliced in half, four or five cloves of garlic cut in half,  the leaves from four stalks of fresh tarragon, and two stalks of garlic chives.  I put the entire bird in a Pyrex loaf pan and slathered it wit butter and baked it uncovered for 30 minutes and then turn it over and baked it another 15 or 20 minutes.

The game hen was delicious and full of the flavor of tarragon and lemon.

During the last ten minutes that the game hen was baking I steamed ten stalks of asparagus and warmed the Béarnaise Sauce by sitting the pitcher  on the stove away from any flame.

I poured a glass of 2016 Belles Vignes Sauvignon Blanc (Trader Joe’s $5.99),  a decent French Sauvignon Blanc for the money. I enjoyed its lack of citrus flavor and slightly heavier finish than many New Zealand Sauvignon blancs, a good match for roasted chicken.



Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment