Monday, May 21, 2018

May 20, 2018 Brunch – Bacon, Eggs, and a bagel. Dinner Party at Debbie and Jeff’s

May 20, 2018 Brunch – Bacon, Eggs, and a bagel. Dinner Party at Debbie and Jeff’s

Except for one glaring exception, today was fabulous.

I awoke and worked form 5:15 to 6:45.  Then I ate a bowl of yogurt, blueberries, granola, and milk.  I dressed and went to the UNM North Golf Course and clocked Todd and his group of runner friends in a Five Km. The wind was blustery and it was fun to get out in it and inspiring to see all the wonderful runners.  They were running everywhere this morning. I have never seen a group of more avid runners.

I returned home at 9:00 in time to watch the Sunday morning
News programs.  I was still hungry, so I sautéed two pieces of bacon to crisp and fried two eggs plus two egg whites mixed with a sliced green onion and toasted ½ of a rather flat whole wheat bagel and spread it with cod roe and piled it high with slices of Jarlsberg cheese.

At 12:30 I rode to Rio Bravo but fell when I lost control of the bike when I ran over a plastic plate on the trail in the dark under Bridge St.  A Good Samaritan helped me to my feet and I made it home.  I had been locked in the pedals but was able to swing my body so the initial contact was with my right shoulder.  I skinned the side of my right knee and right arm and the area behind my right shoulder is hurting, but I have use of more than ½ of my body.

 Took a shower and washed the dirt out of the wounds as best I could, spread anti-bacteria ointment on the wounds, and lay down for 1 ½ hours until Suzette returned home around 4:00.

Suzette gave me two Tylenol and rubbed CBD massage cream into my shoulder and bandaged the two big large wounds and I dressed and went to the kitchen to  help her prepare
Shrimp and scallop tacos

for the dinner party at Debbie and Jeff’s house.

Suzette peeled a 2 lb. bag of 16-20 count shrimp (Sprouts $5.99/lb. on Saturday’s 72 hour sale and I cut them I half. I also cut 1.4 lb. of scallops into quarters that I also bought at Sprouts yesterday for $9.99/lb. plus six minced cloves of garlic.

Suzette made a cabbage Cole slaw in the Cuisinart with 2/3 head of green cabbage, 1 white onion, and ¼ Padilla chili, plus mayonnaise and crema and I finely chopped about ¼ cup of cilantro.

We did not have a good avocado, so I diced two mangos that we took in a separate containers do took the PPI refried Black beans from last night’s meal.

Here is a photo of the Cole slaw and tortillas.




Suzette had stopped for club soda so we could make mojitos and packed those plus the mint simple syrup, a bottle of Bacardi rum, a bag of mint and a bag of limes.

We met Cynthia, Ricardo, Bruce and Holly at the base of the Paseo del Puma and led them up the hill to the house which is the highest in Albuquerque, with perhaps the best views in the city.

It was fun to see Bruce and Holly whom we had met in San Miguel de Allende two years ago.

We sat and drank a mojito and talked as the sun sank in the West behind a line of clouds in an incoming storm.

                                                Bruce, Holly, and the sunset

Cynthia brought quesadillas and sautéed mushroom tacos.  Debbie and Jeff made skewers with baby tomatoes and basil garnished with balsamic dressing, quarters of English muffins spread with either a crab spread or tuna spread to make crab toast and tuna toast.

Suzette sautéed the shrimp and scallops and heated the black beans and a pile of the small taco sized tortillas in the microwave.

When all the dishes were ready Jeff fetched me a beer and everyone took a plate or two of food.

Holly particularly liked the Cole slaw and fresh mango chunks.  I was too embarrassed to tell her sitting in the fridge for two weeks is what ripened them.

After dinner Debbie served the best dessert she has ever made.  Heavenly decadent Cheesecake Lemon Bars garnished with whipped cream and a raspberry and blueberry.  It was Divine.  Everyone raved.  I ate two pieces.

Here is the recipe.


At 9:00 Suzette and I got tired and said goodnight to all and thanked Debbie and Jeff for a lovely evening.

Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment