Thursday, May 10, 2018

May 10, 2018 Lunch – Lobster Salad. Dinner – Willy’s Birthday Party Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon Teriyaki, Stir fried Chive Blossoms, baby Bok Choy and corn, water chestnuts and mushrooms

May 10, 2018 Lunch – Lobster Salad. Dinner – Willy’s Birthday Party
Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon Teriyaki, Stir fried Chive Blossoms, baby Bok Choy and corn, water chestnuts and mushrooms

Today I ate the usual granola, yogurt, tropical fruit salad with a splash of milk.  The stock market was kind to everyone today.  My portfolio is finally positive for the first time since January, thank goodness.  Let’s hope Trump makes a deal with North Korea and the two leaders get the Nobel Peace Prize and then he successfully re-negotiates the nuclear treaty  with Iran and wins another prize. It will be good for the country and the market.

For lunch I ate the PPI Lobster Salad from the other evening after adding fresh picked lettuce, a diced Roma tomato, 1/2 of an avocado diced, and a T. of olive oil.
I also ate the small end of the Bosque Bakery baguette.



I ate in the garden under the gazebo and watched dove fly in to water at the bird bath.

I worked until 4:30, when Suzette came home.  It was too late to go to the store so we decided to stir fry baby bok Choy with the Cedar plank grilled salmon.  I started by dicing 1 ½ shallots, a tsp of garlic, and 2 tsp. of ginger root.  Then I diced and separated the white from the green portion of four stalks of baby bok choy.  I opened a 7 oz. can of whole water chestnuts and halved each.  Then I opened a 15 oz. can of baby corn.  I diced four mushrooms and the handful of chive blossoms I have picked over the last three days.

Then I made guacamole with five avocados, about 3 T. of onion, three small cloves of garlic, a dash of salt, several dashes of Cholula hot sauce and juice from two limes, and ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro.  Suzette fetched the chips from the back f my car and we nibbled a little guacamole before Willy cane a bit after 7:00.











Suzette put the teriyaki marinated salmon on a cedar board and then on the propane grill.

I made a seasoning sauce with 1 T. of cornstarch, 1 oz. of Chinese Cooking wine, about 2 oz. of water and a dash of sesame oil.
The I started stir frying the vegetable dish by heating peanut and sesame oil in my wok.  I then added the chopped garlic, ginger and shallot and cooked that for several minutes.  Then I added the mushrooms and the white portion of baby bok Choy stalks and diced mushrooms, the Water chestnuts, and baby corn.  After another five minutes of stir frying I added the green portion of the baby bok Choy and the chive blossoms.

When suzette Saint was 2 minutes before the salmon would be easy, I added the thickening sauce which thickened the dish, so I added a couple more T. of water to the vegetables to loosen the sauce into a smooth sauce instead of a congealed paste, Suzette heated the rice in the microwave and I heated a ceramic pitcher of sake in an enameled pot half filled with hot water.



When Suzette brought the grilled salmon in and sectioned the large filet, we served ourselves salmon, rice, and stir fried vegetables and Suzette poured tea cups filled with hot sake.  We put the sake on a tray and carried it to the garden table under the gazebo and enjoyed a delicious dinner.




After dinner we made cups of tea and cut slices of a chocolate mousse torte I bought at Costco the other day.
The birthday boy eating his cake.

At  9:00 we said goodnight and went to bed.

During George Bush’s presidency I tried to position my portfolio based on thinking like Bush, heavy on oil and Gas related companies and Global corporations.  During Trump’s presidency I am modeling my diet on Melanie Trump’s diet.  I read that she eats granola and fruit for breakfast.  I am right with her.  I imagine that being an international super model by nature, she eats an attractive salad for lunch.  I am right there with her.  I did cheat a bit at 5:00 and eat a few tortilla chips dipped
in guacamole and 1/2 of a PPI Chile Relleno.  This snack could have been better, like a sliced apple, but still it was low on carbs.

Then I was back on the super model diet for Willy’d birthday dinner with teriyaki grilled salmon and stir fried vegetables.  I recall an article I read in a New Yorker fashion issue article several years ago about a very popular Chinese restaurant located on Rue Rivoli in Paris across the street from the Louvre that served essentially only one dish during fashion week in Paris, stir fried bok Choy with deep fried tofu.  I think I know what I am going to eat for lunch tomorrow.

The First Lady and her super model diet is my example of healthy eating during this administration.

The other technical note I should make about the meal is that after two days of marination of the salmon in teriyaki sauce the fatty fish became slightly cured from the sugar and the salt in the soy in the teriyaki sauce.  The marinade became cloudy from the fat for sugar and salt exchange and the salmon absorbed much more of the teriyaki flavor. Interesting.



Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment