Saturday, May 12, 2018

May 11, 2018 Lunch - Salmon Salad Dinner – Boiled Shrimp and Asparagus with sliced Roma tomato and guacamole crema

May 11, 2018 Lunch - Salmon Salad Dinner – Boiled Shrimp and Asparagus with sliced Roma tomato and guacamole crema

There is an interesting rhythm in my life these days.  I try to make good decisions about diet and exercise and work but they seem to be of different levels of importance on different days.  For example, for several days this last week I worked on the water case from 5:00 to noon.  Yesterday was one of those days.  On such days I need to take a nap in the afternoon, as I did yesterday and usually do not ride my bike because of the strong winds in the afternoon.
Today I checked the weather forecast at 6:00 and saw that it was forecast for 20 mph winds and 90+ degree heat in the afternoon, so I rode to Montano at 6:30 in ideal conditions, 65 degrees and no wind.  I returned ate my usual breakfast of granola, yogurt, tropical fruit salad, and a splash of milk, allowed to turn into yogurt by enzyme action of the yogurt.

Most of this day was spent on other cases, including a long conversation about another case with another water lawyer.

I ate a late lunch at 1:00.  I harvested a basket f lettuce from the garden and made a salad with the addition of a sliced radish, a few thin slices of onion, a slice of cold PPI grilled teriyaki salmon, a diced Roma tomato, a handful of grated cheese, and 1/3 cucumber sliced.  I freshened up the Caesar salad dressing with fresh lemon juice and olive oil and dressed the salad with it.




I toasted the last slice of nine grain bread and buttered it.
This basic lunch has become my standard lunch at home for the Spring when we have a garden full of lettuce.

I worked until 3:30 and then napped until 4:30, when I drove to Trader Joe’s in Uptown to buy a ½ lb. box of dark chocolate truffles for $2.99, a bottle of Italian dry vermouth for $3.99 and two bottles of Chevalier VS cognac for $19.99 each.  One bottle was to be Suzette’s Mother’s Day gift.  I replenished our everyday wine inventory with bottles of Haut Sorillon Bordeaux Superiore for $7.99 and a bottle of 2012 Chateau Roudier (appellation Montaigne-Saint Emilion) for $12.99, a Famille Perrin Reserve white for $8.99, and a 2016 Emma Reichart Pinot Noir Rose for $5.99.  I also bought a wedge of raw milk blue cheese that I had not seen before.



I returned home at 5:45 and Suzette arrived at 6:00 just as I was sitting down to watch the news.  She was hungry so we discussed dinner and decided upon a simple dinner of boiled shrimp and asparagus with cocktail sauce and a sliced tomato.  Suzette did not want any Cajun crab flavoring in the boil medium, so I made a simple boil of ½ onion, ½ lemon denuded of most of its juice and a bay leaf. When the pot came to a boil, I added the lb. of 35 to 40 count heads off shrimp I bought at El Super Wednesday evening for $5.49 and about sixteen stalks of snapped asparagus.  I find that I can control the tenderness of asparagus boiled in a pot of water I can watch than in a covered steamer.  Both the asparagus and shrimp were perfectly cooked.  I made a simple cocktail sauce by combining catsup, horseradish, lemon juice and a dash of Tabasco.  The balance in flavor I try to achieve is when I can no longer taste the sugar in the catsup by additions of lemon juice.

Suzette combined some guacamole with crema to make a dressing for the sliced tomato.  We first encountered the combination of guacamole and crema at the fish market in Ensenada, Baja California, where it is served as a condiment with sopa de Mariscos.  I fetched beers to drink with our you peel ‘me shrimp dinner.

We had not slept well last night (perhaps due to the volatility of the chive blossoms we ate last night), so we went to bed at 8:30 after Washington Week on PBS.

I feel my body slimming a bit when I am on this regime of exercise and diet and I feel better.

Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment