Saturday, May 19, 2018

May 18, 2018 Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Fish Tacos with Mexican Style Mango, Avocado Cole Slaw


May 18, 2018 Lunch – Salad. Dinner – Fish Tacos with Mexican Style Mango, Avocado Cole Slaw

I slept until 7:30 and ate the usual yogurt, milk, granola, and blueberries and a few slices of banana for breakfast.

Then I rode to Montano and back.

At 10:00 Aaron arrived and we talked and tried to file the Delaware Annual Franchise Tax Report for VinDacia.  After Aaron left, I called the Franchise tax office in Delaware and was led through completion of the form and successfully filed it.

It was about 12:30 so I decided to make a salad for lunch.  I went to the garden and gathered a basket full of lettuce and cleaned it and put it in a pasta bowl and into the fridge to crisp up.  I then diced a Roma tomato and the ½ of PPI hamburger steak from Wednesday’s dinner, sliced two green onions and 1/3 cucumber, and added those to the now crisp lettuce and added some blue cheese and a few beet squares for a large, lovely, tasty salad.


I drank water with the salad, but after I finished eating it, I made an open face sandwich by spreading Kvalle cod fish roe on ½ slice of German Fitness (fullkorns) bread.

At 3:15 I drove to the Center for Ageless Living. From 4:00 until 4:30 I soaked in the hot tub and from 4:45 had an hour massage by Alma.  The massage was massively helpful.  Everything in my body seems to be in better order including my mind. I must add massage as a regular activity in my regimen.

We had decided to make fish tacos with the remaining ½ lb. of fresh halibut, so on the way home I stopped at El Super to get some needed ingredients. I bought  more Roma Tomatoes, a head of cabbage, avocados, catsup, two bunches of green onions, a 60 count bag of.still-warm taco size tortillas, two ½ lb. boxes of white mushrooms, and a couple of lemons.

Suzette and I arrived at home at the same time.  Suzette suggested that I make a

Mexican Style Cole Slaw with avocado and mango

I finely shredded and chopped ¼ head of cabbage and put it into a mixing bowl.  I then peeled and diced 1 avocado, 1 mango, 2 cloves of garlic, and 2 slices of red onion and added those to the
cabbage.  I then squeezed the juice of 2 medium limes and added a few dashes of Cholula hot sauce and salt.  Finally,  I added several scoops each of mayonnaise and crema and stirred to mix the ingredients into a creamy texture.

While I was slicing and dicing Suzette separated the flesh of the Halibut from its skin and diced it into 1 inch chunks and floured and salted them in a freezer bag.  She then added canola oil to a depth of 1 inch in the wok and fried the fish to golden brown.

Suzette asked “Do you want some black beans with the tacos?” My answer was an immediate, “Yes.” So Suzette heated a can of refried black beans in a large skillet.

Suzette also warmed 10 or 12 tortillas in a damp paper towel in the microwave oven.

When everything was ready, we assembled our tacos.  I laid four tortillas flat on a plate and added layers of black beans, fried Halibut, and Cole slaw for a plate of open faced taco platter.  Ugly but delicious.

                                              Frying the fish chunks
                                             Heating the refried Black Beans
                                                       The Avocado, Mango Cole Slaw
                                             My four tortillas  covered with beans and fish
                                                               The finished dish

Suzette made traditional double walled tacos by enveloping beans, fish and slaw.  We drank beer with our taco dinner.

We went to bed at 10:00.

I have Royal Wedding fever so I awakened at 2:00 and after I finish this blog entry at 4:15 a.m. (11:15 London GMT) shall make a proper cup of Earl Grey tea and watch the Royal Wedding of the newly named Duke and Duchess of Sussex (Harry and Meghan).

This wedding strikes me as almost as momentous a world cultural moment as the election of President Obama, another mixed race person; perhaps more important from a world-wide perspective, considering that It is an American woman marrying into England’s royal family.  Especially when one considers that an American woman marrying an English monarch caused an abdication less than 100 years ago.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment