Tuesday, May 15, 2018

May 15, 2018 Lunch – East Ocean, Dinner – Grilled Halibut and Broccoli and Radish CousCous

May 15, 2018 Lunch – East Ocean,  Dinner – Grilled Halibut and Broccoli and Radish CousCous

I had my standard breakfast of granola, yogurt, milk, and tropical fruit salad.

At noon I drove to East Ocean and ordered Fried Tofu and Mixed Vegetables.  I then drove to Sprouts.  I told Suzette I was going to go on the New Nordic Diet and increase the amount of fish.  She requested Halibut and much to my surprise Sprouts was offering fresh Halibut for $15.99/lb., so I bought a 1 1/2/lb. filet.  Fresh Atlantic salmon was also on sale for $7.88/lb. so I bought a lb. of it. 85% lean ground beef was on sale for $2.88/lb., so I bought a 2 ½ lb. package of it. Elk meat was on sale for $9.49/lb., so I bought a lb. of it to complete that part of the Nordic diet.  I bought ears of corn on sale for 6 for $1.00 and Brussels sprouts on sale for $.88/lb. and two bunches of fresh organic red beets for $1.00 per bunch for that root vegetable part of the Nordic diet.  I bought blueberries for $1.66 for 6 oz. and Milk for $2.19/gallon.

At 4:00 I went to my diabetes counseling to fine tune my dietary choices.  I am going to need to be even more careful in my choices.  Not less creative, just more careful, as you will see with dinner.

When I returned home I rested until Suzette arrived and had inspected the garden.  The entrée was easy, grilled Halibut, but I was a little flummoxed about a vegetable accompaniment.  Suzette came up with a wonderful new vegetable dish to complement the fish and replace the starch;

Broccoli and Radish Couscous.  We had prepared cauliflower Couscous, but using broccoli and radish was a new twist.

Suzette destemmed  large flowerets of broccoli and cleaned the radishes and processed them in the Cuisinart until they were granular.  Then she put the ingredients into a skillet with grape seed oil and butter.  She salted and peppered the ingredients and we stirred the Couscous until it began to take on a brownish color as it cooked.







Grilled Halibut

Suzette put the Halibut on slices of lemon and sprigs of tarragon on a vegetable grilling tray and grilled it in the propane cooker to the poi it was just a bit less than firm but moist.  She the put a pile of cous cous on each plate and lay ½ of the grilled Halibut filet on each plate.  Suzette then put a pat of butter on each filet and heated them in the microwave to completely cook the Halibut.  I chilled a bottle of Matua New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (Costco for 7.99) and poured us glasses of it.  I was not the best but not the worst New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc I have tasted.

We were satisfied with the flavors of the dinner, so I did not eat anything sweet for dessert.  Suzette had a slice of chocolate torte with a scoop of pecan brittle ice cream for dessert

The Broccoli Couscous was very interesting and perfect with the Halibut.

Bon Appetit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment