Monday, February 20, 2023

February 20, 2023 Lunch - Beef shawarma with hummus and Giros with rice, tahini salad and Tabouli and Baklava. Dinner - Sautéed Duck breasts with sautéed baked sweet potato and steamed green beans

February 20, 2023 Lunch - Beef shawarma with hummus and Giros with rice, tahini salad and Tabouli and Baklava. Dinner - Sautéed Duck breasts with sautéed baked sweet potato and steamed green beans


I woke up and worked until Michelle, the Physical Therapist, arrived at 10:00.  I had not eaten so I grabbed a fig Newton bar and walked a bit with a cane to show that I can progress to it. Michelle will help me transport to a car on Thursday.


After Michelle left I was still feeling weak so at 11:30 I called Willy and he was at Eubank and Montgomery, so he agreed to pick up some Middle Eastern food on the way over.


At 12:15 I finished my pleading and Willy arrived with five containers of food, two large and three small styrofoam containers.  One large container contained chopped beef shawarma on a bed of hummus and the other containing chopped gyros on a bed of basmati rice.  One of the side dishes was Tabouli salad and the other a chopped salad of carrots, cucumber in tahini.  The last container contained two slices of baklava.


We ate approximately 1/2 of the food, so there is enough for two more lunches.


Willy made us a cup of Earl Grey tea after lunch that we drank it with a slice of baklava.


At 1:15 I was back in front of the computer until Suzette came home at 3:30 when I lay down and watched Nicole interview Ken Burns.


The two big things that were in the news was Biden’s visit to Kyiv and Ex-President Carter being admitted to hospice at the age of 98.


What a difference there is between how Biden has supported Ukraine and how Trump threatened to hold up military aid to coerce Zelenzky to start an investigation of Hunter Biden.  Trump’s attempt got him impeached the first time. Biden’s help may win him a Nobel prize.


At 6:00 I went to the kitchen. Suzette and I had discussed dinner and agreed on sautéing baked sweet potatoes.  She had started baking two sweet potatoes at 5:00. Then she peeled the sweet potatoes and sautéed the strips she cut the potato into.


I butchered the duck breasts from the bone and then Suzette and I snapped the ends of the green beans and put the pieces into the steamer.


Suzette sautéed the duck breasts, steamed the green beans, and sautéed the sweet potato strips to golden brown to caramelize the sweet potatoes.


I fetched the bottle of 2018 Stag’s Leap Cabernet Sauvignon that Karl and Joanne gave Suzette for her birthday. This one of my favorite Cabs and I drank two small glasses of it, which is about three times the amount of wine than I have been drinking.


I love duck and 1 1/2 breasts is a luxury plus I love the caramelized sweet potatoes.


I also love the way Suzette sautés baked sweet potatoes.





This was a great meal made better by an amazing wine and later a bowl of spumoni ice cream with a drizzle of chocolate syrup.


Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment