Saturday, February 18, 2023

February 17, 2023 Breakfast - Lax and Bagel. Lunch - A Salami and a Cured ham charcuterie and onion and cheese sandwich, Dinner - Leftover Indian food from Naan and

February 17, 2023 Breakfast - Lax and Bagel. Lunch - A Salami and a Cured ham charcuterie and onion and cheese sandwich, Dinner - Leftover Indian food from Naan and Dossa


Lately, each succeeding day seems busier than the last.  Today was incredibly busy in a good way.


I worked at my desk most of the day, mostly on the new litigation matter.

Thank god I was able to start my cycle of amoxicillin yesterday evening after my visit with my doctor and Suzette picked up my prescription.  I realize more fully every day what a wonderful support team is around me.


I am still using the walker 100% of the time, so am restricted in the scope of my daily activities outside the house, but gaining strength every day.


My head was much clearer and I had a lot more stamina today.


I literally sat at my desk from 9:00 a.m. until 9:30 p.m. except for lunch and dinner breaks


I slept until almost 8:00 and then toasted a bagel and spread it with cream cheese, and garnished it with slices of brown onion and the newly made Gravad lax. The process and ingredients for making each batch of Gravad lax varies a little.  Production of this batch varied dramatically from the standard Swedish method in three ways. First we did not have dill weed or fennel to lay on top of and below and between the filets, so we decided to add the zest of two oranges to the salt and sugar and black pepper fry curing medium. Second, the filets were skinless.  And third, we did not flip the fillets, but instead left them in the curing medium for two days weighed down with a brick. 


Based on the first serious taste test today at breakfast, I am of the opinion that there is very little difference in flavor between any of the methods. In other words, neither the use of dill weed or orange zest seems to alter the basic flavor of the cure.


I drank two cups of Earl Grey tea with cream with the lax and bagel and then worked at my desk from 9:00 until 12:30 when I took my lunch break.


During that time Henry came to finish the installation of the new tile in the front bathroom, but I was so busy on the phone I did not have even a minute to thank him for a job well done.  Here is a picture of the new bathroom tile floor.




Then around 11:30 Nancy came by to loan Suzette her Jerusalem Cookbook we had discussed when she and Cliff brought Indian food for dinner Wednesday evening in response to Suzette’s description of the monthly food journey table d’hote menus offered at a fixed price planned for the greenhouse Bistro Thursday and Friday nights.  For example this month’s menu features Scandinavian dishes, a Gravad lax on rye bread appetizer, an entree of three lamb riblets leaning on a cake of Norwegian Green Rice (flavored and colored with bits of green bell pepper)  with a puddle of raspberry coulis., and a Swedish lingonberry and whipped cream dessert. 


Here is a picture of the entree.



Suzette explained that March’s food journey will feature Irish cuisine, April will feature Israeli Cuisine, and May will feature Mexican Cuisine.  When Suzette mentioned Israeli Cuisine and the name of the famous Israeli chef, I recall Nancy mentioned that she had his Jerusalem Cookbook.


Today Nancy came by and dropped off her copy of the Jerusalem Cookbook to help Suzette plan the Israeli meal.  We talked for several minutes, as I was busy and she was on her way to a luncheon.



Also this morning, as if I did not enough to do to catch up with my full bore litigation cases, I received two calls from clients needing services that I agreed to help. 


Then at 12:30 I finally took a break.  I first thought to eat some of the Indian food left from Wednesday and tried to cook rice, but soon tired of that idea and decided to make two open faced sandwiches on toasted slices of baguette. I spread Mayo on each slice of toast and then slices of brown onion, then slices of Iberico cheese and a slice of butter lettuce on each and finally thin slices of salami one one and cured ham charcuterie on the other.


I drank water and and watched the market close until 2:00.


While I was sitting in my new chair (here is a picture), 



Rahim arrived unexpectedly to deliver the fee we had agreed upon for my helping him with his first securities offering and a gift of a new I Pad to thank me (here is a picture of the I Pad).  I love helping Rahim because he is intelligent, energetic, and generous.


                                                   Rahim’s gift of a new I Pad


After Rahim left I went back to my desk and consulted with Robert and then drafted a pleading for the new litigation case, called the court to confirm the procedure for filing pleadings, and filed my Entry of Appearance in the case. I worked on the pleading until 6:30 and then took a break until 8:30 and resumed drafting until 9:30, when I finished the pleading. So it was a busy work day.


Suzette came home around 6:00 after a visit to her doctor and at 6:30 heated the leftover Indian food.  I made a cup of chai to drink and added a bit of Greek yogurt to the thin Riata sauce from the restaurant and fetched the Mango chutney and we enjoyed a lovely meal of Chicken Tikka Masala and Saag and rice.





We watched news until 8:30, when Suzette went to bed and I went back to work.


Suzette is a wonderful program planner and during dinner she described the employee appreciation luncheon she held today at work.


The big gift was a trip to Disneyland that was somewhat intentional, because the person who the senior staff decided should be selected as the recipient of best employee of the year was Nicole and Nicole had mentioned her desire to take her child to Disneyland.  Suzette found out that Nicole had relatives in L.A., who could provide housing, so Suzette provided airfare for three and paid leave and some cash, so the trip was virtually free.


That creative project and programming is a hallmark of how Suzette creates both her business and our home and leisure activities.


We had talked when she was on her way back from Los Lunas and I mentioned that we needed milk.  The senior staff selected hot red chili for the Employee Appreciation Lunch, which Suzette could not eat, so when she went Lowe’s to buy milk on her way home from her doctor’s appointment, Suzette bought a sushi roll from Lowe’s in-store sushi stand to slake her hunger. She offered me some of the approximately 12 thick slices of the salmon and cucumber roll.  I found it quite fresh and delicious with lots of soft fluffy sushi rice.


I went to bed at 10:00 and slept until 1:30 when I penned this blog until 3:00.


I have noticed that my appetite and my normal craving for sweets has decreased. For example, Suzette offered to share the slice of Chocolate cheesecake drizzled with Melba sauce she made for the Valentine’s Day Surf and Turf dinner at the Bistro and I declined because I had eaten enough Indian food to satisfy my hunger or still lack the strong craving for sweets I used to have.



Also I am sleeping better and am more clear headed now that my sinuses and nose are clearing of the infection and I can breath through my nose.


Bon Appetit 


No comments:

Post a Comment