Sunday, April 17, 2022

April 15, 16, and 17, 2022 The Turista Zone

 April 15, 16, and 17, 2022 The Turista Zone


I broke the cardinal rule of traveling in Mexico on Thursday.  I drank the water and the results were swift and predictable, but in an interesting way.


Friday morning I had diarrhea, which was the first sign that all was not well and I felt miserable.  


Then around 9:30 something remarkable happened.  I threw up every last drop of liquid in my stomach in three huge heaves.  It was as clear a message from my gut enzymes and bacteria that, “This is not going to happen on our watch.”


I felt better after that but continued to have diarrhea, so we rescheduled our airplane flight back to Albuquerque for Saturday.


On Friday I ate a slice of bagel with cream cheese for breakfast and for a late dinner ate two spinach, onion and cheese pupusas of the four that TR heated for me and himself.


                                                     A conversation with TR late at night 

                                          Suzette, TR, and Linda in front of the Bali house


I owe him a meal at the Pupuseria Restaurant.


On Saturday Suzette fixed me a scrambled egg and a sliced of bagel with cream cheese with a cup of mint tea.


                                  Linda and Suzette in the driveway next to the Bali house



We then drove to the airport and checked our bags and then Suzette ordered a bucket of shrimp at the Bubba Gump Restaurant in the Airport.


                                                         Suzette’s bucket of shrimp

                                                     Bubba Gump’s in PV airport

                                          Suzette enjoying her last Mexican Margarita of the trip


We made it to home in Albuquerque by 8:30 with a stop in Denver where we ate dinner at our favorite airport restaurant, Timberline Steaks and Grille.


We shared a Pub Burger, a burger garnished with caramelized onions and applewood smoked thick cut bacon, with mashed potatoes, and a Cesar salad.  Suzette drank a beer and I drank a delicious Denver made Glider apple cider that was not too sweet and not too dry with no bitterness.






When we arrived home Suzette started suffering turista and was sicker Sunday morning. We had to decline Amy and Vahl’s invitation to join them at El Gancho Tennis Club for Easter Buffet.  


I ate two slices of whole wheat toast for breakfast, one buttered and garnished with a fried egg and the other spread with peanut butter and orange marmalade.


I read The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne and dozed.  Suzette suffered further diarrhea and dozed.


At 7:30 Sunday evening I said, “I have everything I need to make miso soup. Do you want some?”


Suzette said, “Yes.”


So I went to the kitchen and added about 1 T. of ito Wakame dried seaweed to 1 1/2 quarts of water and added a handful of spinach chopped, about 12 snow peas halved, 1 1/2 T. of red miso with dashi, 1/2 tsp. of dehydrated dashi, and eight or nine chicken filled mini-dumplings. I also sliced three green onions into thin ringlets for garnish.


Suzette ate a few bites and then returned to bed.


I ate two bowls and a few sips of green tea.


We then watched another episode of the Last Kingdom and Suzette went to bed before 10:00.


She is still suffering diarrhea but I seem to have stabilized and am on the mend.


I have had a reaction like Suzette’s before upon returning to the U.S. from a long trip to Mexico.  It seems like the accumulation of Mexican microbes is released upon re-entry.


The moral to our visitation from turista is, The food commentary evaporates when everything turns to shit.


Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment