Friday, April 8, 2022

April 6, 2022 Brunch - Chile Relleno and refried black beans. Snack - Ham and cheese sandwich. Dinner - Spinach and Squid ink Linguine with a tomato, garlic, onion, mushroom, caper, ham, and broccoli sauce with a dab of crema.

April 6, 2022 Brunch - Chile Relleno and refried black beans. Snack - Ham and cheese sandwich. Dinner - Spinach and Squid ink Linguine with a tomato, garlic, onion, mushroom, caper, ham, and broccoli sauce with a dab of crema.


We awakened to the alarm at 7:00 and I showered and dressed and we loaded the car and drove to PV.


I dropped Suzette at the Activer office to pick up her pesos from the sale of her account and I drove to the El Comer Supermarket to shop for the few items we needed.  I first went to the wine section and bought a bottle of Chilean Tres  Cabernet Sauvignon, a bottle of Concha Y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon. I also bought another bottle of Trapiche Torrontes and a bottle of Conch Y Toro Sauvignon Blanc.  Then I turned around to the liquor on the other side of the aisle.  I was torn between rum and brandy, but soon decided to buy a liter of Presidente Solera brandy.


Then I push to the end of the aisle and on the end cap were the discounted items among the item two caught my eye, a 500 ml. 2012 Ochoa Spanish Crianza and a 750 ml. bottle of Sisco French Creme de Cassis.  Both were discounted to 50 pesos and I bought both.


I then bought the other items, including sliced ham, sliced Manchego cheese, four bolillos, a 700 gram bag of cookies, mayonnaise, paper towels, ground coffee for Suzette.


By the time I cashed out I was getting weak but Suzette walked in with the dried spinach and squid ink pasta she had bought at a Moka Caffe, the fresh pasta maker at the Marina shopping center.


I told her I needed to eat, so we went to the take out and lunch counter of the store.


I immediately saw what I wanted, a Chile Relleno. This area of Mexico is noted for its Pasilla chilis and chilis battered with egg and flour and fried are a specialty.  I could now believe it was only 25 pesos. I ordered the chili Relleno and a small amount of beans that turned out to be delicious refied black beans. The small container of beans and the Relleno cos 53 pesos and turned out to be one of the best meals of the trip.  The chili was stuffed with a large amount of creamy white cheese.


                                           Sunset frm the deck at the lake house


                                     View of the pool and lake from the lake house


                             Maguey is planted everywhere along the road near Tequila


                                        Suzette on the deck at the lake house



                          Tres Medalles Cabernet Sauvignon from Santa Rita, Chile


                                          Dinner 


It was a fabulous meal. The best Relleno I have had in years.


We then drove back north toward Compostela, where we caught the Guadalajara cuota road that cost about $30.00 but took us to the Tizapan turnoff about 40 miles from the lake house.


We stopped in Tuxcueco and bought onions, a cucumber, Roma tomatoes, and crema.


We arrived at the lake house at 5:00. Juan was waiting for us and soon Jaime who lives on the property showed up to say hello.


The lake house is more beautiful than I remember it.  It is quiet, a bird sanctuary, and with an Imposing view of Lake Chapala. It is located on the south side of Lake Chapala 4 km. East of Tuxcueco and 10 km. West of Tizapan.  It is an International style house built by the Danish government to teach cheese making to the locals about 100 years ago.


Harold and Suzette bought it 30 to 40 years ago.


After we brought in all the groceries Suzette drank a Modelo and I made a drink of brandy, Cassis,, ice, and Penefiel mineral water flavored with lime.


I loved the drink and made two of them.  The Cassis is real French Crème de Cassis.  I am in heaven and a little drunk.


After our drink on the veranda. we made Dinner.  Suzette’s idea was to sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomato, capers, ham and broccoli and combine it with the linguine. 


The dinner was also very good and very filling.


I opened the bottle of Tres Medales Cab and it was really smooth. A very pleasant bottle of red wine.


After dinner we drank a second glass of wine and I ate a few cookies with my glass of wine as I blogged this entry.


There is no internet or TV so we read.  Suzette finished Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne.


I am still reading Pathway to the Moon for book club and enjoying it very much.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment