Friday, December 31, 2021

December 30, 2021 Lunch - Posole, a tamale, some red chili, and an egg. Dinner - Lamb Saag and Cassoulet and Turmeric Rice

December 30, 2021 Lunch - Posole, a tamale, some red chili, and an egg. Dinner - Lamb Saag and Cassoulet and Turmeric Rice


Today was a day of activity in which food was secondary.


I ate a bowl of granola, yogurt, milk, and blueberries for breakfast around 9:30 as I tried to host a zoom meeting for our monthly book club meeting.


Then at 11:00 I drove to my podiatry appointment.  I drove home after the podiatry appointment and at 1:00 made my lunch.  I am trying to make the perfect Posole meal.  Today, I added an uncooked egg to the bowl of Posole, tamale, and red chili that I heated in the microwave. Next time I may remove the yolks, which I do not eat, and add two egg whites.  I also toasted and buttered a flour tortilla today. So I reduced the amount of Posole and added a flour tortilla.  I liked the addition of the warm wheat flour tortilla to the mix of ingredients and the egg cooked completely in the microwave, so I adopted those two improvements to my completely perfect  Posole lunch.



At a few minutes after 1:30 I hosted the book club zoom and recorded the discussion notes and grades.  This month’s book was Comanche Empire, a history of the Comanche and their dominance of the Southern Plains from 1700 to 1875.  I was amazed how little sensitivity the book club guys had to the slaughter of the Indians.  They seemed to believe the Manifest Destiny concept that the Indians were simply an obstruction that stood in the way of Anglo Americans’ settling of all the lands between the Atlantic and the Pacific Oceans and the sooner gone the better.  The problem with the Comanche was they did not go away easily.  In fact they dominated trade and hindered settlement between the Platte River and Mexico and from the Mississippi River to the Rockies for over 150 years.


Suzette arrived at 4:00 and we watched Ari Melber and I heated the mulled wine and drank a mug of it.


I then meditated until 5:30,  I was not hungry so I read a New Yorker article about the new eruption of a volcano on the Southern coast of Iceland. 


While I was reading Suzette ate a dinner of leftovers, cassoulet and lamb saag washed down with a bottle of Dos Equis beer


At 7:00 I followed her lead and heated leftover turmeric rice, lamb saag, and cassoulet for dinner with a bottle of Dos Equis beer.


We watched some news and then a very interesting Peach Bowl between No. 10 Michigan State and No. 12, Pitt.  When we tuned in at the beginning of the 3rd quarter Pitt was ahead 21 to 10, but Michigan State clawed its way back with great offense and defense to win 24 to 21.


Finally, we watched a House Hunters International episode where a father and son chose a historic 100 year old fixer upper home in downtown Guadalajara, Mexico over modern high rise apartments.


We were in bed by 9:30.


I slept until 5:00, meditated in bed a bit and then got up and wrote this blog entry.  


It is New Year’s Eve and we have a big fresh oyster dinner planned.


Bon Appetit




No comments:

Post a Comment