Monday, December 20, 2021

December 19, 2021 Brunch - French Toast   Afternoon snack - Charcuterie Sandwiches   Dinner - Duck and Italian Sausage Sautéed Pasta


I watched the news programs and a soccer match between Man City and Newcastle in which Man city crushed Newcastle 4 to 1.


I called a Willy to invite him for brunch and soccer viewing.


Suzette worked at her desk most of the day.  She was hungry by 9:00 so I made breakfast.  I had dreamed about making French toast by adding egg nog to the batter. I made a batter of 1/3 cup of milk, 1/3 cup of egg nog, 2 T. of sugar, 3 eggs, and a dash of cinnamon.


I also fried 6 slices of bacon. We had only whole wheat sandwich bread, so I used slices of it and the result was quite satisfactory. I heated maple syrup with about 1 1/2 tsp. of butter to pour over the sautéed French Toast.




We enjoyed the slightly different breakfast and Suzette returned to her work at her desk. 


Then around 11:00 Willy arrived and turned on the Liverpool v. Tottenham match, which proved to be a real battle to a 2 to 2 draw.


I then helped him soak two slices of bread and he took over and sautéed his French Toast and heated the syrup.


After the match we watched Dallas crush the NY Giants 21 to 6 mainly defensively by intercepting 3 passes and recovering a fumble.


Willy left and I laid down to nap and read Comanche Empire and watch the rest of the Dallas victory and some of the Green Bay v. Baltimore game.


At 3:30 I made three small sandwiches on toasted French baguette smeared with basil Mayo, one each of prosciutto, cured ham, and salami, with slices of Gouda cheese, smeared with tarragon mustard. I drank a Dos Equis beer with the help of Suzette. 


At 4:30 we loaded four boxes of bottles for recycling and drove to deposit them at the solid waste recycling center on Edith and then drove the few blocks to Costco.  Suzette wanted to purchase more items to give away at her employee Christmas warehouse that starts tomorrow and we needed several items.  We purchased Dungeness crab claws, butter, mayonnaise, Jarlsberg cheese, romaine lettuce, and grape tomatoes for our luncheon on Wednesday and tortillas and tamales for Christmas Eve to go with the Posole I will make.  Suzette filled the cart with cookies, candy, peanut butter filled pretzels, Ute snack mixes, body lotion, and lots of other items for the warehouse.


We left Costco after it closed its doors at 6:00 and the parking lot was emptying.


After we unloaded the perishables from the Highlander, we discussed dinner.  I had suggested a pasta dish utilizing the confit duck breast and the Sweet Italian sausage we had.  Suzette suggested cooking a frilly egg noodle.  We decided to sauté 1/2 shallot, dice several stalks of asparagus, slice several mushrooms and make a simple olive oil, vermouth, and parsley sauce.


While I chopped and sliced, Suzette diced the duck breast, a baked sweet potato, and asparagus stalks, made small meatballs with the sausage, and boiled the egg noodles.


When I had chopped the shallot and mushrooms, Suzette sautéed them plus the asparagus, duck, sweet potato cubes, and sausage meatballs in a large skillet In olive oil.  I then sliced six slices of Pecorino Romano.  Suzette added the parsley and cooked noodles to the skillet and tossed everything together to mix the ingredients and the plated half in each of two pasta bowls.




I poured the remaining half bottle of Henri Morell 2018  Signargues Cotes du Rhone Villages for a lovely accompaniment to the pasta dish.






After dinner I watched New Orleans beat Tampa Bay as Suzette worked at her desk and did laundry and then we taped Luke’s Christmas box.


We went to bed around 10:00 after I ate three Godiva chocolates with a bit of Calvados 


Bon Appetit






No comments:

Post a Comment