Friday, August 13, 2021

August 12, 2021 Lunch - Hotdog at Costco Dinner - New Recipe, Onion soup with pasta and blue cheese

August 12, 2021 Lunch - Hotdog at Costco Dinner - New Recipe,  Onion soup with pasta and blue cheese


I finally have replenished the larder as of today.  With the new gallon of milk and my favorite Plain Non-fat yogurt, I enjoyed my favorite breakfast of granola with milk and blueberries and yogurt.


I worked until 10:30 and then drove to my podiatry appointment at Renaissance.  Afterwards, I was three blocks from Costco, so drove there and ate a hot dog and then shopped.  The fish prices have all gone up, so I chose a 2 lb. rack of lamb for $12.99/lb., a lb. container of spinach, portobello mushrooms, a case of Warsteiner Oktoberfest beer, a wedge of Cambozola cheese, and freezer bags.  I forgot the most important thing we needed, Kleenex, alas.


I then drove home and arrived as the market was closing and was pleased that my portfolio was up 1% and back within 1/2% of a 20% gain for the year.  I don’t think I will ever again make as much from legal services income in a year as my portfolio has made in each of the last few years.


I did a little work and then rested in bed, which is the coolest part of the house. 


Suzette arrived around 4:30.  She had driven and gotten the van registered in Los Lunas, so was hot because the van’s AC is not working.


After she rested and showered she went through the fridge to get rid of all the spoiled food. We had some pesto, so I suggested pasta with pesto, but Suzette came up with a uniquely wonderful idea for dinner; creating a dish by cooking egg noodles in the PPI onion soup and crumbling blue cheese on top and serving it on a bed of fresh spinach.






The new recipe turned out really well, sort of a blue cheese stroganoff, instead of a sour cream stroganoff.  After the first bowl that we ate with glasses of Aquino Chianti Reserva, I even sliced the last white mushroom and added the mushroom slices when I reheated the casserole.  If there is enough pasta left we might make that addition for our next meal and even some sour cream, but I liked the new recipe Suzette created better than either onion soup or stroganoff, because it was not as heavy as stroganoff. It still had an Italian Cuisine character.


The conversion of onion soup into a pasta dish is the essence of our style of cooking; converting one dish into an ingredient for another dish.  It worked brilliantly this evening.


After dinner I sipped a grappa with chocolate biscuit cookies and Suzette sipped a cognac as we watched Rachel and then Midsomer Mystery and a bit of the Agatha Christie mystery, until we fell asleep at 10:30.


Bon Appetit 

No comments:

Post a Comment