Wednesday, August 12, 2020

August 12, 2020 Lunch – 2000 Vietnam no. 21 and no. 87. Dinner – Avocados Stuffed with Boiled Shrimp in Italian Salad

 August 12, 2020 Lunch – 2000 Vietnam no. 21 and no. 87. Dinner – Avocados Stuffed with Boiled Shrimp in Italian Salad

Another immensely fun day of food.  I started in the morning when I peeled one of the fresh peaches Suzette brought from her tree at the Center.  I added granola, milk, and yogurt for a delicious breakfast.

I watched the Market open in a reversal of yesterday’s late decline which continued through the day.  The Dow ended up 290 points and the S and P ended within 6 points of its February high at 3380.

To make a long story shorter, my portfolio regained all the loses of yesterday and ended at a slight gain.

Suzette works at home on Wednesdays so we plan a lunch together.

Today when I asked, “What would you like for lunch?”

Her reply was, “How about Vietnamese? 

My reply was instantly, “ I always love Vietnamese.”

I showed her 2000vietnam’s new menu, but without looking Suzette said, “I would like the flour sheet dish with pork and egg rolls.” 

 So I called the restaurant and ordered a no. 87 for Suzette and No. 21 for me.

I drove to pick up the orders and returned home a bit before 1:00.

I went to the garden and picked about 10 basil leaves and tore more bibb lettuce leaves to add additional fresh herbs and greenery to the dish. I ate ½ of my No. 21, so I can eat the res5 for lunch tomorrow.

Suzette loved her lunch and ate it all.

I watched the Market finish and then checked to make sure I had regained all of the loss of yesterday, and I had.

Where this market goes is unpredictable, but if there is a third recovery package passed by Congress it should go up.

Also as Jim Cramer stated the stock split planned by Apple at the end of the month should raise its price.

 

 If Apple’s share price reaches 467 it will be the first $2 Trillion market cap company. 

I was thrilled that Joe Biden selected Kampala Harris as kis running mate and that feeling increased when Joe Biden officially announced Kampala Harris as his running mate this afternoon.




I was ready to donate to their campaign.

We decided to stuff an avocado with shrimp salad for dinner, so we thawed a bag of small shrimp after lunch.  

I decided to make the famous Swedish dish Italian Salad with shrimp.This exactly the dish I helped a group of women make in Sweden about this time of the year fifty years ago and it is still one of the most memorable dishes I ate in Sweden the year I lived there.  There are lovely succulent small shrimp netted in the opening of the Oslo Fjiord. They are usually cooked in sea water as the boats return to port. That fixes a briny salty flavor.  I was at a party one weekend when the lunch was to be shrimp salad.  Four or five of 

us shelled about 2 ½ lb. of 80 to 90 count freshly caught cooked shrimp near Gothenburg.  It took about an hour.  Then the hostess made an Italian Salad to suspend the shrimp in.  That was what I proposed to do tonight because we had the same sized shrimp.  I found the recipe for Italian Salad and realized immediately that the hostess had substituted shrimp for the ham and pasta, so that is what I did.  Here is the recipe.







I diced two carrots and Suzette found the frozen peas in the freezer.  Suzette rehydrated the shrimp and eliminated their freezer burn by boiling the shrimp, carrot cubes and peas. 

I then diced ¼ cup of dill pickles and 1 Apple.While Suzette was cooking the ingredients I whipped ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream and added to it 1 tsp. of prepared yellow mustard and ½ tsp. of  sugar to make it taste like the sweetened Swedish Prepared mustard. I then added 1 cup of mayonnaise and whipped the mixture into a smooth cream and stirred in the other ingredients.  It was loose so I chilled the salad in the fridge and the Suzette chilled it in the freezer.  I was amazed how much the salad reminded me of what I had eaten in Sweden.  

Suzette had laid leaves of Bibb lettuce on a plate and placed a peeled half of avocado on the lettuce.  She then spooned a generous amount of shrimp salad onto the avocado and we opened a bottle of Gruet still Chenin Blanc and poured glasses of it and ate an amazing cold dinner.



This was the closest I have ever come to replicating that amazing fresh shrimp salad in Sweden fifty years ago.

After dinner Suzette drank Wellington Cabernet Sauvignon with a piece of chocolate torte.

I drank a cup of tea with a sniffer of cognac and several chocolate truffles and then a slice of chocolate torte.

QBon Appetit



No comments:

Post a Comment