Monday, August 10, 2020

August 10, 2020 Lunch – Beef and Noodle Soup. Dinner – Crab and Halibut Soufflé with Tomato, Red Onion, Mozzarella cheese, and cucumber Salad

 August 10, 2020 Lunch – Beef and Noodle Soup. Dinner – Crab and Halibut Soufflé with Tomato, Red Onion, Mozzarella cheese, and cucumber Salad

The days are beginning to become seamlessly one after another.  Today I saw thatNikola opened up $5.00 and watched as it settled down as the market went into a slump.  I entered a limit order for 800 shares at $40.88 and it filled so after I entered the order.  Then I walked 1/3 mile instead of ½ at around 8:30 without the aid of a sugar pill or breakfast and it knocked me down.  When I got home I ate granola, milk, and yogurt and rested for an hour. 

Nikola and the rest of the market hung around the lows all morning, but then as the day went on the market began to rebound with the DOW ending up around 360 points.  Although the NASDAQ ended negative, Apple and Nikola and a few other stocks rebounded and my portfolio ended the day with a .6% gain at a new high, thanks mainly to the $4.00 rebound by Nikola and a big gain again by Apple.

I was still weak at 11:30 so decided to make a beef Noodle Soup with the PPI rib steak, Shishito peppers, and mushrooms from a few days ago.  I filled a 2 quart pot 2/3 full of water and added the beef and mushrooms and Shishito peppers.  I then added Knorr dehydrated beef stock, some onion, a clove of garlic, two beef meatballs, a large mushroom sliced thinly, a heaping T. of red miso, a Baby Bok Choy, three types of noodles (bean thread, 40 mm. Vietnamese rice, and wheat noodles and three oz. of diced zucchini.  The soup thickened and the broth became flavorful after about ½ hour of simmering.  I ate two bowls seasoned with hoisin sauce to cut the spiciness of the Shishito peppers and then added more water and put the remaining ½ of the pot of soup out in the garage fridge.

I rested and worked and read in the afternoon. 

I was talking to a client at 5:00 when Suzette arrived but said hello at 5:30.  We had planned to cook a crab and Halibut in cream sauce soufflé tonight because those were the two PPIs we had.  I placed a bottle of Kona New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc in the freezer to chill.

  Suzette had brought home fresh tomatoes and cucumbers from her garden at the Center.  We  discussed making a Caprese Salad, but I favored a tomato, onion, and cucumber salad, especially because several of the tomatoes were almost over ripe.  So I peeled, seeded and diced a regular cucumber and a lemon cucumber, 1/2 of a red onion, four slices of fresh mozzarella cheese diced, and four or five small ripe tomatoes.  I asked Suzette what type of dressing to make and she suggested an apple cider vinegar and sugar dressing. I whisked about 1 ½ T. of sugar into ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar and dressed the salad and put it in the fridge to chill.

While Suzette started on the soufflé mixture combining eggs and half and half with the crab and Halibut in cream sauce and 4 or 5 whipped egg whites. 

 I grated and minced 2/3 cup of Jarlsberg cheese and buttered the large soufflé dish and coated the butter with the minced cheese.  I also grated and minced about another ½ cup of Jarlsberg that we sprinkled on the top if the soufflé after Suzette filled the soufflé dish with the soufflé mixture.  

I made a gin and tonic and we watched the news and the Antiques Roadshow until the soufflé was fully cooked but moist.  Suzette cooked the soufflé in our new steamer oven, which Suzette says is perfect for cooking soufflés and I believe her.  The soufflé was perfect, firm at the edges and moist in the Center with a crisp crust of cheese on the top, so that when you cut into the soufflé you could get on one fork crisp cheese topping, firm edge with cheese and soft, moist center.  It was heavenly and the crab and Halibut made it delicious, if a bit heavy in a good way.

The salad was wonderful also with its fresh cucumbers, mozzarella, onion, and tomatoes in the sweet and sour dressing.









I drank the last glass of Gavi Princessa which went down very smoothly.

I poured the Kona Sauvignon Blanc for Suzette and I later took a glass for my second glass.  The Kona was a bit musty with a slightly sour orange after-taste instead of the crisp fruity citrus flavor of other New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs.  We will strike this one from the list next time I go to Trader Joe’s.

About ½ hour after dinner I made a cup of chai and ate a few bites of the chocolate torte Suzette brought from the Center.  It was amazingly delicious with its strong almond flavor.  

After the Roadshow ended Suzette went to bed, but I stayed up to watch a two Hour segment of The American Experience that chronicled the history of Woodstock in 1969.  I loved connecting to my era and its re-affirming that that was a special event and era.

The music bubbles inside of me as I write this blog after it ended.  I am not sure if I am animated by the music and love of Woodstock or the densely rich chocolate torte or both.

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment