Sunday, June 7, 2020

June 6, 2020 Lunch – Salmon and Scallop Sashimi. Dinner – Cedar Board Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Japanese Pickled Vegetables and Rice cooked with sugar snap peas

June 6, 2020 Lunch – Salmon and Scallop Sashimi. Dinner – Cedar Board Grilled Teriyaki Salmon with Japanese Pickled Vegetables and Rice cooked with sugar snap peas

I toasted a slice of one of the Smith’s bagels I bought yesterday using their free pickup service.  The bagels are mostly like white bread that may have been dropped into water for a moment and baked.  I spread cream cheese on the slices and garnished it with slices of onion and Gravad Lax.  It was wonderful.

At 1:00 Suzette wanted to eat and seemed interested in Sashimi,  we thawed three sea scallops.  I also thinly sliced some daikon and the small ice of salmon and fetched the bowl of Japanese Pickled Vegetables.


At 4:00 we drove to Costco.  It was the first time in over last two months for me.  We bought flour and sugar, blueberries, a white fish, limes, and several other items.

On our way home we stopped at Lowe’s where we said hello to Travis.  We bought ice cream, avocados, cilantro, and Suzette bought Kerr tops for her bottling of man jars of maraschino cherries tomorrow.

When we arrived at home and after a drink I started a pot of rice cooking and we cut a piece of cedar board that Suzette then soaked it in a tub filled with water for 30 minutes.  We then went to the garden and picked about 24 isugar snap peas and de-stemmed them.  When there was 10 minutes left on the rice (30minutes) cooking time I poured the handful of peas into the rice pot so they would steam.


Suzette started cooking the salmon on the cedar board on the gas grill and I fetched the bowl of Japanese pickled vegetables.


Willy arrived shortly after 7:00 and we began taking items to the gazebo table.  I heated a pitcher of sake that Suzette divided between the three Chinese tea cups I had fetched.


Soon Suzette brought in the grilled salmon fillet.  We cut it into three pieces and Suzette cut smaller pieces so Willy would get the most well cooked portions.


We each ladled rice and pickled vegetables onto our plate and Suzette sectioned and plated the salmon.  The most well done pieces went to Willy and the least well done piece to me.

We carries our plates and cups of sake to the table under the gazebo and ate a very pleasant dinner.

Let me explain the pickled vegetables.  I found a recipe I liked among the four recipes in my Japanese Cookbook and mixed up a bowl of pickling medium with mostly, salt, rice vinegar and sugar.  I then began slicing vegetables and putting them into the medium. My favorites are cCucumber, shallot, and daikon.  I keep the pickles in the fridge and they substitute for a vegetable.

After dinner I was so full I fell asleep.

Bon Appetit





No comments:

Post a Comment