Saturday, June 13, 2020

June 12, 2020 Lunch – Chili Relleno plate from Padilla’s. Dinner – New Recipe-Baked Stuffed Acorn Squash.

I ate tropical fruit salad, yogurt, and granola for breakfast and the rode five miles South and back with the aid of three sugar pills.

For some reason I was tired and sore, so after a shower I dressed and watch Governor Cuomo’s and New York’s two top legislature leaders announce new legislation to force each of New York’s 500 police departments to review their policing practices it was 10:45.  I was thrilled that change may come to policing.

Before I left home I called Padilla’s and ordered a Chili Relleno plate with double beans and green chili to go.  The lady who took my order said, “We are serving seated dining today with spacing.”

My response was, “Thank you, but I don’t think I and ready for that yet”.

So after I picked up the flash memory stick I dropped off yesterday with the reciprocal proper copied onto it at the Court, I dove the six or seven blocks to Padilla’s.  At 11:20 about ½ of the tables were filled, which was busier than I thought it would be,  but not as busy as it usually is. There was no line of diners waiting.  The lady sorted through the approximately dozen bags of food waiting to be picked and found my single styrofoam container and sandwich bag holding two warm sopapillas. So Padilla’s is doing a brisk take out business. I love Padilla’s Chili Relleno, large Anaheim chili’s stuffed with yellow cheese.  A waitress once told me they are made by a off premise purveyor, which only makes me more intrigued.

I returned home and ate 1 of the two Chili Relleno with added chopped onions and ½ of the beans and melted honey and ate both sopapillas and went to bed for a nap. It seems to have taken me several days to overcome the effects of my working until 3:45 a.m. on Thursday morning.




When I awaken at around 3:00 I discovered that the Court has granted my motion to extend the deadline for filing my brief until July 2.  I was thrilled.  Now I will have time to finish it properly without and more all nighters.  I don’t know how older doctors and nurses are able to function for multiple double shifts during this Covid 19 pandemic.

At 3:30 I drafted a purchase agreement for Rahim and checked my portfolio results.  The market finished up 477 points, but the tech stocks I own had given up much of their earlier gains when the Market was up over 800 points.  For example, Apple ended up $2.90after being up $10.00 earlier.  I was happy with the .9% gain, although it did not come close to erasing yesterday’s 5% loss.

Suzette and I had decided to stuff and bake the two lovely large acorn squash I had bought several weeks ago.

Suzette started by making the stuffing by chopping 1/3 onion and cooking it with about 6 oz. of Jimmie Dean Sausage. Suzette got a call so I took cover the sauté skillet. I added a chopped clove of garlic before she returned and then when she returned from her call, we agreed to season the stuffing with parsley and sage. I went out to the garden and picked a handful of sage. When I returned I chopped about a dozen leaves and five sprigs of parsley, while Suzette chopped about 1 cup of chicken breast and the remaining four white mushrooms and about 2 oz. of beech mushrooms in the fridge and added those and some olive oil to the skillet with the stuffing ingredients.

Suzette decided to make a mornay sauce, so I grated about 1 cup of Jarlsberg cheese while while Suzette made a roux with 2:T. each of butter and flour and fetched the milk. I then slowly added milk to the roux as Suzette stirred it with a whisk to keep it from becoming lumpy.

She the added ½ cup of grated cheese and the poured the mornay sauce into the stuffing.  She cut the acorn squashes horizontally in half and removed the seeds, leaving a bowl in the top of each.  Suzette
then placed the squash half’s in a greased Pyrex 9 x 13 inch baking dish and  filled each bowl with the creamy stuffing.

Suzette Baked the squashes in a pre-heated 375 degree oven on convection.


When the squashes were baked to a golden brown Suzette plated the squashes and I poured glasses of 2016 Benton Lane Rose.



I ate two halves and Suzette ate ½.  I took the Tzatziki to the garden table, but the thick yogurt did not complement the soft delicate mornay sauce.


Each squash ½ was a small casserole.

We loved the concept and execution of this dish. Individual small squash casseroles filled with a creamy savory stuffing of chicken, mushrooms, sage, onion, and sausage.  As we were eating Willy came by and talked to us and we sent him home with the last 1/2 squash and tools to pull weeds and the big pruning shears to cut small trees beginning to grow beside the sidewalk at his Mountain Rd. Apartment.

After Willy left at around 8:45 Suzette wanted to watch a movie. I was tired and sore and went to sleep and slept until 12:30, when I awakened and wrote this blog.

Bon Appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment