Friday, June 26, 2020

June 26, 2020 Lunch – Chicken Noodle Soup Donburi. Dinner – Sautéed Roasted Pork, Mushrooms, and Shallot in a Sherry Reduction with Ratatouille

June 26, 2020  Lunch – Chicken Noodle Soup Donburi. Dinner – Sautéed Roasted Pork, Mushrooms, and Shallot in a Sherry Reduction with Ratatouille

Today things finally got so bad we decided to start drinking our champagne and it put us into a better mood.  The market did one of its over 700 point dives as many states announced new highs in Corona virus infections and the US hit it highest number of new infections at around 45,000.  I watched Pence explain how we were doing great as spokesman for the WH corona Virus Taskforce and I was embarrassed.

I worked on my brief from 12:30 to 5:00 a.m. and finished the final draft. So I guess you could say I was up early.  I slept until 8:30. I actually slept about Six hours, after having gone to bed at 9:00 p.m. last night.

I ate granola, yogurt, tropical fruit salad and ½ banana sliced for breakfast.  Then I walked ½ mile at 10:00 and watched Pence and company at 10:30.

I became hungry again at 11:00 and decided to convert the chicken stock, mirepoix, and boiled chicken thigh into a noodle soup.

I added some water to the pot of chicken stock to get the level of liquid to 2/3 and chopped up the thigh.  I then added about 2 T. of onion chopped, 1 zucchini diced, two mushrooms sliced, a small bag of cooked green beans, 2 green onions sliced, and 1 bundle of fresh egg white noodles I bought at Talin.  There was so many ingredients it turned into a ramen bowl as the noodled expanded a bit.  I decided to add an egg and an egg white Donburi style so I whipped the egg and added about 2 T. of the extra seasoning sauce Suzette made for her garlic eggplant dish and added that to the pot.  I covered the pot and let it boil on low heat for about 30 minutes to cook all the ingredients.
The soup was delicious.  I added fresh cilantro leaves for a little extra flavor and drank cold water.


I lay down after lunch and dozed off and on and read until 5:15 when Suzette arrived.

I then checked the  damage to my portfolio.  It was down 2% which is consistent with the 2 ½% drop in the Dow.  I was saved the full impact of the market sell off of the by the several stop sell orders triggering , especially on Facebook and Google.  I will assess the full extent of the damage tomorrow.

We decided to use the approximately 4 oz. of PPI Bacon wrapped Roasted Pork Tenderloin and add Mushrooms and sauté it with shallot and serve it with steamed green beans and the PPI Ratatouille.

Suzette complained of a difficult day and week, so I suggested we drink the bottle of Gruet Sauvage Rose I had picked up yesterday among the bottles in my current allotment.

Rose Sauvage is currently my favorite Gruet wine.  It is made with 100% Pinot Noir and zero sugar is added so it is exceedingly dry with 0% residual sugar but has a wonderfully rich Pinot flavor.

Here are the tasting notes from Gruet: With zero dosage, Sauvage Rosé's vibrant fruit flavors of wild strawberry and hint of cherry really shine on the nose and palate and are complemented by bright acidity.

100% Pinot Noir

Aged for 24 months en Tirage at release
pH: 3.02 | Alc: 12.50% | RS: 0%

We drank a glass of champagne and then started cooking dinner.  I minced a large shallot (about 1/3 cup), three cloves of garlic, and about five or six white medium mushrooms, while Suzette diced the pork.

While Suzette started sautéing the shallot and garlic and put the casserole of PPI Ratatouille on the stove to heat I went to the garden to fetch four or five sprigs of thyme and a sprig of tarragon.  I added those to the sauté and then fetched the carafe of amontillado sherry and added about 2 T. to the sauté.








I then cut a handful of green beans in half and steamed them and we were ready to eat.  I poured out the rest of the Sauvage champagne and Suzette filled each pasta bowl with a pile of Ratatouille and
covered it with half the Pork and Mushroom Sauté and lay a small pile of green beans on the side.

We carried our plates out to the garden and enjoyed a lovely dinner.

The biggest impression we want this meal to convey is how you can adapt and utilize PPIs as ingredients to create an equally or better dish or meal.

Tonight was a great example of how we utilize PPIs to reduce the prep and cooking time for meals .  Tonight we were able to stretch 4oz. of PPI bacon wrapped pork into a wonderful dish and when combined with the Ratatouille and a green vegetable, a wonderful meal.

The sautéed combination of the sherry flavored pork, bacon, shallot, garlic, and  mushrooms was sublime.  The Ratatouille is a gift that just keeps giving as its flavors and textures blend as we keep reheating it.

This was a superb meal, as last night’s dinner of PPI lemon tarragon chicken with PPI Ratatouille and steamed asparagus was also.

Later we split the last of the blueberry and mango cobbler with Blue Bell Vanilla ice cream and watched two episodes of The English Game until 10:00 when we went to bed

Bon Appetit


No comments:

Post a Comment